Mobile Alabama bound

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 11, 2006
West Central Illinois
Twelve guys doing the annual Mobile AL golfathon trip need the name of a good BBQ place there.

If you would reply the name of some establishments we will look them up in the phone-book there

Personally getting tired of the smorgasboard scene:twisted:

Thanks a lot!

In Mobile, there is no shortage of q joints. Just a shortage of really good q joints.

Smokey Bones - I don't really care for it, but it is always crowded.

J.R.'s BBQ - It is pretty good, but they don't pull the membrane off the ribs.

The Brick Pit - I heard it is good, but have never tried it.

Dreamland - another popular place, but I've only tried it a few times. It can get a little too vinegary. (Is that really a word)

Richee's - Great BBQ stuffed potatoes. Not real fond of anything else there, but they do have a really interesting sauce. I can eat a whole jar of it with a loaf of bread.

The Shed - It is about 20 miles into Mississippi. It was featured on Food Network. Again, never tried it, but supposed to really good, and really crowded. Their hours are kind of weird, so you may want to call first.

Sonny's BBQ - Southern chain. Usually pretty good, but can be hit or miss.

Dick Russell's BBQ - Really good lunch plates, o.k. bbq.

There are a lot more, but I don't eat q out that much. I just hate paying someone for something that I can cook better at home. Try some seafood while your here. If you need any good seafood suggestions, let me know.

Thanks a bunch Wes
Will print your post and take with us!
You mentioned a couple that look very interesting

Cheech Thanks for not asking for the golf scores
rolleyes.gif

Will report back about the Q experience though:-?

Have a fun and safe trip, Marvin. About the golf scores-remember-it's golf; your'e suppost to lie!! 8) :p

Hi Wes,
We had a great time in Mobile.....Played 36 holes a day and that is a lot for our ages 55-75.....Talked some into going to the brick pit but never got there.....the mardi-gras traffic was pretty terrific so we walked 2-3 blocks to J.R.'s for convenience.

Well as you said they leave the membrane on....disappointing is a good description......but hell if you can make better at home then that's expected
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

Next year maybe the brick pit will work out.....sounded OK and think it deserves a try.

Thanks for pointing to some of the places.

Yeah, I never really eat BBQ out much. And I hate when people leave the membrane on.

I just got in to Akron, OH a little while ago for a week long technical training school. I don't know if I'll get to sample anything here or not. I have to eat dinner with the factory guys every night, so I'm at their mercy. At least it thawed out a little bit before I got here.

Enjoy the northern climate, Wes, and have a safe journey.

Thanks again for the tips and next year we are going to the brick pit and I will report to you since you have not been there either.

Marvin, happy to read you had a great golf trip. Just a suggestion, but if all of you drove to Mobile. Can always smoke up some good eats and i am sure you could find a microwave to help heat things up. Like i said just my .02 cents worth

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky