Mexican Beef Tips With Onions And Peppers (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
After seeing so many posts by my friend John ( chilerelleno chilerelleno ) and getting a ton of guidance, I decided to make something yesterday that was 100% inspired by him. His meals are always so fresh, colorful, and vibrant looking, they are simply drool worthy. I wanted to do something totally creative from the ground up with as much color and vibrancy as his postings. Got out a couple of my Mexican recipes and cross referenced them, took a couple things from each, added some stuff, and created this meal.

Here is the meat in the Dutch oven with the oil, flour, garlic, and dry seasonings
002.jpg

Add the broth to de-glaze pot and let it simmer for a while to thicken
003.jpg

Peppers and onions all cut up. Got red and yellow bell peppers and poblano pepper
004.jpg

Sauce thickened so add the peppers and onions
005.jpg

Veggies cooking down. Sorry about the pot being so messy. The sauce is so rich and thick, it just sticks to the pot
006.jpg

Money shot. Served with Spanish rice, refried beans, warm torts, and topped with Cotija cheese. Sorry. My cilantro had gone south on me so didn't use it
007.jpg

Well, it didn't quite hit the mark for color and vibrancy but it sure hit the flavor mark. Very deep, rich, flavorful, a bit spicy, and certainly authentic Mexican flavor. I was absolutely thrilled with the sauce. That is the key to the meal and the flavors that were developed and it was spot on. Exactly what I'd hoped to create. I did get just a bit too much Arbol pepper in there and after cooking for a while, it was a tad spicier than I wanted. Don't get me wrong, we aren't afraid of spicy food but I didn't want it quite that far forward. It wasn't an instant hit of spiciness, rather it built up as you ate and kinda caught you off guard. Here is the recipe and I did make the adjustment to it reflecting the reduced Arbol pepper:

1 lb. beef tenderloin tips
2 T olive oil
2 T all-purpose flour
4 cloves garlic
1 T beef bouillon
2 t chili powder
1 t guajillo pepper
1 t arbol pepper
1 t ancho pepper
1 t ground black pepper
½ lime juiced (about 1 t)
½ cup each rough chopped onion, red and yellow bell pepper, poblano pepper
½ cup beef broth
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup Cotija cheese or queso fresco

-Warm oil in a pan. Add beef and flour, toss to coat
-Add all dry spices and garlic. Simmer until meat is brown
-Add beef broth and lime juice
-Simmer until sauce starts to thicken
-Add veggies and simmer on low until veggies start to soften. Do not overcook
-Serve topped with Cotija cheese or queso fresco and cilantro

John...once again sir I cannot thank you enough for the help and guidance you have provided. Yesterday was a yucky, cold, rainy, blustery day and this was the perfect meal. It'll warm you all the way to your toes.

Sadly, no leftovers,
Robert

That looks fantastic and very filling! Speaking of filling, that looks good to stuff into a giant burrito!

Like!

Dang Roberto,
that looks so good, mmm, Carne Guisado!
Enlarging that plated shot I can see just how tender that beef is.
I love spicy hot, bring it on bro!
LOL, warm ya up and stick with too, might warm ya up the next day too.
Big Like!

If you and I, or many of the great members here, lived next to or near me, you'd soon see me on an episode of 'My 600lb Life'.

To add the vibrancy you seek, I'd recommend sauteing or grilling your veggies separately, get a little char on them and lastly season with a dusting of salt.
Presentation wise, plate the veggies next to and/or overlapping one side of the entree.
BAM! Bright colors and distinct flavors.

Reactions: jcam222
Johns a tough one to emulate, but it looks like your right there with him.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks amazing Robert. Big Like!

Man I could devour some of that!!

Great stuff. Nice job!

Looking very yummy!

Nicely done!

Sorry everybody for the slow response. Tracy bought tickets for us to attend a rock festival. Come to find out, in Texas when you go to a rock festival, you're supposed to carry your own rocks so we spent all day yesterday picking up several tons rocks on the lot we recently bought and consolidating them into one area. This way when we head to the rock festival, we can just grab them and go. It also allows us to run the mower through there and keep the natural foliage cut and looking nice.

Very much appreciate all the kind words and the LIKES. I have a bunch of catching up to do today and Tracy is leaving in a few hours for a business trip. I'm gonna do some yard bird on the Rec Tec and spend a couple hours catching up here.

About rocked out,
Robert

That looks fantastic and very filling! Speaking of filling, that looks good to stuff into a giant burrito!

I suppose you could do that and it'd be great. Load the top of the tort with cheese and let melt....hmmmm...

This could work,
Robert

Dang Roberto,
that looks so good, mmm, Carne Guisado!
Enlarging that plated shot I can see just how tender that beef is.

Thank you Chile. Yes, the beef was certainly tender. Start with good meat, treat is with love, and the results can be pretty spectacular. I've had Carne Guisado on many occasions and love the stuff. This is along those same lines but I wanted something with much bolder flavors than the standard version. I hit that mark :emoji_wink:

I love spicy hot, bring it on bro!

Oh we do too but that was not what I was trying for. I have several dished that are specifically geared toward hot and we like them. This one however was intended to be rich and flavorful with just a hint of spiciness

LOL, warm ya up and stick with too, might warm ya up the next day too.
Big Like!

Yes sir and thank you very much!!

To add the vibrancy you seek, I'd recommend sauteing or grilling your veggies separately, get a little char on them and lastly season with a dusting of salt.
Presentation wise, plate the veggies next to and/or overlapping one side of the entree.
BAM! Bright colors and distinct flavors.

Now I'mm getting somewhere!! Thanks. The colors of my veggies did get muddied a bit cooking in the sauce. Now I see where I was lacking. Very good info and very much appreciated.

Learning more from Chile,
Robert

Johns a tough one to emulate, but it looks like your right there with him.

Thanks but I don't know that I'll ever be at his level. As long as I can continue learning and improving though, I'm happy with that.

Robert

Color or not, that plate wouldn' last me long.

Didn't last us long either :emoji_laughing:

Superb eats it appears. Nice!

I was happy, ans thank you. This is only the 2nd or 3rd meal I've created in a Mexican style and am happy with the results. Chile has been hugely inspirational and immensely informative.

Fantastic Robert!
Nicely done!
Al

Thank you Al!! Coning from a Hall of Fame Pitmaster, that means a lot.

Appreciating all you good folks,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky