MES and after market pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BBQ is regional so are the wood's used to smoke it. In the part of the south that I live oak and hickory are the wood of choice for many pit masters since it is very common. Tods oak is as good as it comes. It is not post oak but it does not smell like red oak. If you have ever split red oak you won't soon forget it. As a young man a friend brought home some cherry smoked jerky from PA. I still remember it as the best I have ever had.

This is a quote from the link above on three of Traeger's pellets you posted.
Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood.
No oil/flavoring added.
I have Traeger Apple and Pecan. I like blending woods. So this is what Traeger told me and what I posted. So no one got this wrong and the Traeger CSR is consistent. I new this info before I bought Traeger and like many people say, you have to try it for yourself to see if you like it. I'm not going to buy Todd's Oak and Apple and make my own homemade Traeger blend. I'm going to burn Traeger pellets.

I guess Oak or Alder pellets that are sold by themsevles are fine but is the antichrist of wood if you you mix it with another. Wouldn't it suck it if someone got their Pitmasters choice pellets and found that it's a blend of apple, maple and hickory and said "oh crap! These pellets are blended! I just wanted the single wood flavor that is the choice of most pitmasters." Said no one ever.

I can get 20lb bags of Jack Daniels black pellets down the street for $16.00 made from the sugar maple charcoal Jack is dripped through and Oak. Can I taste the Jack? No. Do I like the pellet? Yes. Do I like the price? Hell yes! This place has one pound Bqq'ers Delight that's 100% wood on the bag for $3.50. Will I get a 40lb. bag of Cookingpellets perfect mix of apple, hickory, maple and cherry @ $38? Most likely. I buy from our sponsors, small local brick and mortar businesses that are slowly disappearing in Peoria, IL because CAT world headquarters is moving out.
-Kurt
Kurt, you quoted the post wrong or misread it. Here's the actual statement in the post:

"Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) WITH FLAVOR OILS NO ACTUAL Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet" (I added the caps in that phrase for emphasis).

My opinion is this: tell me in advance that I'm buying a blended wood pellet or that the pellet itself is alder or oak with oil flavoring. There is a vast difference between blended wood pellets, and a mix of pellets that are each 100% of the wood type they're labeled as being. Pitmaster's Choice is a mix of 100% cherry, hickory, and maple woods, not hickory oil or a 30% base of oak or alder. Team C posted back in 2012 and perhaps Traeger has changed its wood pellet manufacturing process. I don't know. But for me it's now a moot point. My friend has the bag of Traeger applewood pellets which made him very happy; I use only Todd's pellets and I'M very happy. I'll leave it at that.

Kurt, you quoted the post wrong or misread it. Here's the actual statement in the post:

"Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) WITH FLAVOR OILS NO ACTUAL Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet" (I added the caps in that phrase for emphasis).

My opinion is this: tell me in advance that I'm buying a blended wood pellet or that the pellet itself is alder or oak with oil flavoring.

Almost sounds like using "liquid smoke" instead of real smoke

Thank God the two bags of Traeger pellets (Pecan and Apple) I have are made without oil. I have 5 lbs of Pecan left and 10lbs of Apple. My daughter uses both of what I have as well. Reviews on Lumberjack and Cookin Pellets are good I know I'll try. But got Todd's pecan dust, hickory, apple, pitmasters and maple. Jack Daniel's pellets have oak and sugar maple charcoal. That's a mild pellet and can get $16/20lb bags at the local Country Hearth and Home with other 1lb bags of bbqers delight. I haven't had a bad smoke flavor yet and burn 2x moreTraeger.
-Kurt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky