MES 40 Temp Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks again for all the help. I am going to order the Auber this weekend. I am in the middle of a smoker full of ribs and the Masterbuilt temp is all over the place. Piece of crap when it comes to electronics. They should just sell an insulated box with a heating element inside and a hole in the side for the mailbox mod. Before I order the Auber, does anybody here have a referral link so someone here can get a commission on the sale? Not even sure if they do that or not? Thanks again

Yes, Going to go with the WS-1510ELPM. Still deciding on what external pit probe/food probe remote system to use.
Just as a test this morning I fired up the smoker and placed my Maverick food probe, the built in MB food probe , and an old style dial type oven temp all next to the built in MB internal temp. probe on the back wall. All 3 probes were showing within 2 degrees of each other BUT the built in MB wall probe was reading 23 to 25 degrees higher! Even after 1 hour of running with the smoker empty.

Set the temp on the Masterbuilt for yesterdays ribs smoke to be 250 (for ribs to actually cook at 225.) Monitored it with all 3 remote methods I talked about and most times it was running at the 225 area, which is where I wanted it to be for the ribs. The ribs came out perfect being smoked at the proper temp. Piece of crap Masterbuilt electronics getting ripped out tonight. Auber WS-1510ELPM is on it's way !!!

Reactions: MJB05615
Ok - The Auber just arrived. Lots of instructions in the operation manual. Do most users here do the program mode or do you guys set the Auber into Single Step mode? Probably going to be using this to maintain one temp. constantly with no recipes or changing of temps need during cooking. Thanks

Since I do a lot of low temp fish smoking , starting at 125 and ending at 140, I set my own temp and time for each cycle.

Single step. Set an alarm to step up a few degrees with sausage and fish. No need to mess with thousands of minutes on long smokes.

OK- I got the MB rewired and hooked up the Auber yesterday. Did a temperature test by setting the Auber to 225. Here is the possible issue. With the Auber set to 225 and then placing both a Maverick probe and a ThermoBrand probe next to the Auber probe inside the smoker, when the Auber display showed 225 the other two probes were reading 215. Is the Auber able to be calibrated? Doesn't seem it should be that far off from the factory.
Follow-up - I read some info on doing a calibration via an ice bath test or a boilwater test and then adjusting the SC value in the Auber to compensate for any differences. Any recommendations on which test is preferred for the MES40?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky