MES 340G inoperable and needs updates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reaboy86

Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
So i received a brand new and made inoperable MES 340G from a friend. It was replaced under warranty and I "in-op'd" for her with a spare cut cord and some photos to MasterBuilt. The problem turned out to be a folded over temp sensor in the back center interior of the case. This thing would have never worked when it was packaged and shipped - such stellar quality control to not even plug it in and test it before shipping - my gain however.

I transplanted the temp sensor from an old MES30 into the 340, but the temp ended up 60F lower than the controller was set for. Based on all the comments on here and the overall mediocre performance of a stock MES I plan to purchase a PID controller tomorrow.

I am trying to decide between the Auber WST1510H-W wifi ($210 on sale through tomorrow) and the WS-1510ELPM ($150)
Any opinions one way or the other?

Is the WiFi a worthy option for an extra $60?

BTW - i do use a two probe ThermoPro with the remote in my current setup and it has been fine and works inside the house for the distance away my smoker is. I also create smoke off the box with a masterbuilt side smoker running through a dryer duct.

Other plans are:

replace the heat element connectors with the stainless ones discussed on this board.

And maybe kicking up the rollout switch so that I can hit 325F with this thing. Is there a part number and vendor for such a part?

Any other things I should consider or plan for?

Thanks much
Todd

uxcell 2 Pcs 210 Celsius Normal Closed Ceramic Thermostat KSD301

I bought them on Amazon but have yet to install, they supposedly can go up to 410F.

So i received a brand new and made inoperable MES 340G from a friend. It was replaced under warranty and I "in-op'd" for her with a spare cut cord and some photos to MasterBuilt. The problem turned out to be a folded over temp sensor in the back center interior of the case. This thing would have never worked when it was packaged and shipped - such stellar quality control to not even plug it in and test it before shipping - my gain however.

I transplanted the temp sensor from an old MES30 into the 340, but the temp ended up 60F lower than the controller was set for. Based on all the comments on here and the overall mediocre performance of a stock MES I plan to purchase a PID controller tomorrow.

I am trying to decide between the Auber WST1510H-W wifi ($210 on sale through tomorrow) and the WS-1510ELPM ($150)
Any opinions one way or the other?

Is the WiFi a worthy option for an extra $60?

BTW - i do use a two probe ThermoPro with the remote in my current setup and it has been fine and works inside the house for the distance away my smoker is. I also create smoke off the box with a masterbuilt side smoker running through a dryer duct.

Other plans are:

replace the heat element connectors with the stainless ones discussed on this board.

And maybe kicking up the rollout switch so that I can hit 325F with this thing. Is there a part number and vendor for such a part?

Any other things I should consider or plan for?

Thanks much
Todd

Hi there and welcome!

Man did you luck out getting a brand new free MES to rewire and convert for a PID!!!

Here are the switches that will work for you, they are rated for 180C/356F so you can do 325F with a little room for overshoot which you should'nt do. Just set smoker to like 315F and when it overshoots to 325F then up to 325F :)

Get these EXACT ONES! Others seem like they will work but these are the EXACT design. The others look like this but are not the same design and will not work:

I think you have the right ideas. Replace those connectors with ones that wont rot immediately like the original ones.
Rewire + PID, is the way to go.

As for the PID it's up to you. The Wifi feature to me is not as useful as you may think, I know because I had a wifi PID and the wifi wore out, it's not an Auber but in reality it's not mandatory because you shouldn't be leaving where you are more than 1 min away from the smoker unless you want it to burn down on a pellet flare up or a grease flame up lol.

The Auber instructions read like written by a drunk 2nd grader so a number of guys have opted for the Wifi simply for ease being able to interface with the Auber. Really though once you write down the series of 4-5 button presses to set the temp and go. And/or to change any PID configs, you just rinse and repeat. No issues :)
Up to you though.

Once you are up and running with the PID let us know, I'm excited for ya! :D

uxcell 2 Pcs 210 Celsius Normal Closed Ceramic Thermostat KSD301

I bought them on Amazon but have yet to install, they supposedly can go up to 410F.

Hi there and welcome!

FYI P postmeister and R reaboy86 , the MES insulation is foam insualation and not rated to be operating at super high temps.

I wouldn't push it over 325F for more than 4 hours. I know for a fact that 2-3 times a year at 325F for 4hrs or less during those smokes, that my MES shows no issues.
I only do this for skin on poultry smokes so the skin behaves, that's it :)

Bear has reported insulation crackling/failing at temps over 325F when his smoker ran away on temp once. His info is golden too, so keep all this in mind when moding to go over 275F normal max temp :)

The wifi model was worth it to me. All of the settings can be set via the app vs the unlock codes and remembering button sequences. I also liked the ability to watch it from indoors.

Hi there and welcome!

FYI the MES insulation is foam insualation and not rated to be operating at super high temps.

I wouldn't push it over 325F for more than 4 hours. I know for a fact that 2-3 times a year at 325F for 4hrs or less during those smokes, that my MES shows no issues.
I only do this for skin on poultry smokes so the skin behaves, that's it :)

Duly noted, tks.

I ordered up the wi-fi version today (last day of sale). I purchased with the free hanging cabinet probe, and two standard food probes (2nd one added $20 to total) per Tallbm recommendation. Total came to about $250 with tax/shipping/probe upgrade. Now to order the improved stainless connectors and the Tallbm recommended rollout switches. Can't wait to get this running.

My old crusty black MES30 dorm fridge smoker has a controller that is getting hard to decipher the readouts. The plan is now that it will become the Smokerator with a duct fan and chimney, fit up of additional racks maybe up to ten, the newly acquired Auber when needed, and my MasterBuilt side smoker that i currently run through a dryer duct. A buddy did this with a broken free smoker and the speed, quantity, and quality he can produce jerky is amazing.

Lastly, I have a stainless top and sides Cookshack small cube smoker (damn, that is probably close to 20 years old that was also free from the same lady that gave me the 340G (damn, its a heavy built item and she said it was over $700 when she bought it). It has an unexplained temp swing that starts dropping after a while. Someone put a new thermostat in it for her a long time ago but did not solve the problem. I will fix it maybe with an inexpensive PID or PID kit and keep it around to give to one of my boys when they graduate college and get a house.

Thanks for all the input.
Todd

Reactions: tallbm
I ordered up the wi-fi version today (last day of sale). I purchased with the free hanging cabinet probe, and two standard food probes (2nd one added $20 to total) per Tallbm recommendation. Total came to about $250 with tax/shipping/probe upgrade. Now to order the improved stainless connectors and the Tallbm recommended rollout switches. Can't wait to get this running.

My old crusty black MES30 dorm fridge smoker has a controller that is getting hard to decipher the readouts. The plan is now that it will become the Smokerator with a duct fan and chimney, fit up of additional racks maybe up to ten, the newly acquired Auber when needed, and my MasterBuilt side smoker that i currently run through a dryer duct. A buddy did this with a broken free smoker and the speed, quantity, and quality he can produce jerky is amazing.

Lastly, I have a stainless top and sides Cookshack small cube smoker (damn, that is probably close to 20 years old that was also free from the same lady that gave me the 340G (damn, its a heavy built item and she said it was over $700 when she bought it). It has an unexplained temp swing that starts dropping after a while. Someone put a new thermostat in it for her a long time ago but did not solve the problem. I will fix it maybe with an inexpensive PID or PID kit and keep it around to give to one of my boys when they graduate college and get a house.

Thanks for all the input.
Todd

Nice! Man it sounds like you are used smoker rich! hahaha

If you want to get into building PID's you can give it a shot. Just know you won't really save any money to get all the parts, consumables, and tools to build the 1st one. You might save $30-$50 on building a 2nd one.
Just understand that having a drill press, vice, and proper tools to properly cut squares/rectangles and drill holes will keep you from pulling your hair out and launching stuff across the room as you try to build a PID hahaha.

Basically the rewire + PID is the same no matter the electric smoker. Once you figure out the wiring and how to make it work for you then you can turn all those extra smokers into amazing machines your boy s could get great use out of :)

Nice! Man it sounds like you are used smoker rich! hahaha

If you want to get into building PID's you can give it a shot. Just know you won't really save any money to get all the parts, consumables, and tools to build the 1st one. You might save $30-$50 on building a 2nd one.
Just understand that having a drill press, vice, and proper tools to properly cut squares/rectangles and drill holes will keep you from pulling your hair out and launching stuff across the room as you try to build a PID hahaha.

Basically the rewire + PID is the same no matter the electric smoker. Once you figure out the wiring and how to make it work for you then you can turn all those extra smokers into amazing machines your boy s could get great use out of :)

Agreed on the cost, but I may be approaching with a different intent.
grant car.jpg

We are pretty well set up for any fabrication :)

My youngest is a junior in HS and loves to fabricate - wood/metal/weld/electronic etc. I might just give him the assignment and see what he comes up with? Lack of direction coupled with a challenge really works for him.

I should also look into the amazing pellet smokers. My MasterBuilt side smoker does fine, but being electric and made by masterbuilt, I should be prepared for an alternative knowing its demise is a when and not an if.

Thanks all,
Todd

Agreed on the cost, but I may be approaching with a different intent. View attachment 517833
We are pretty well set up for any fabrication :)

My youngest is a junior in HS and loves to fabricate - wood/metal/weld/electronic etc. I might just give him the assignment and see what he comes up with? Lack of direction coupled with a challenge really works for him.

I should also look into the amazing pellet smokers. My MasterBuilt side smoker does fine, but being electric and made by masterbuilt, I should be prepared for an alternative knowing its demise is a when and not an if.

Thanks all,
Todd

Oh awesome!!! Pro Tip, buy an enclosure/project box like 2.5 times the size of what you think you will need. You will thank yourself for more of the space haha.

Oh awesome!!! Pro Tip, buy an enclosure/project box like 2.5 times the size of what you think you will need. You will thank yourself for more of the space haha.
Good to know, hadnt really thought of it that way.....biggest pain on working on any broken electronic item is how tightly packed things can be.

Thanks
Todd

Good to know, hadnt really thought of it that way.....biggest pain on working on any broken electronic item is how tightly packed things can be.

Thanks
Todd

Yes and this is a huge pain when it comes to PID enclosures lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky