Memphis BBQ Sauce Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

khuhner

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
New York, NY
Since I asked for a brine recipe in the poultry section, I figured I'd donate one back to the smoking masses!

I have tried somewhere between 8 to 10 versions to get to this one. Enjoy.

Memphis BBQ Sauce:
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
5 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp ground white pepper
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 Tbsp ground mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp liquid smoke

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour until thickened.

Kurt

hi great recipe. I tried and loved it, very much.left out the liquid smoke.man was it great on pull pork an ribs.

Does anyone know if I can substitute in molasses instead of dark brown sugar? Also thinking of adding some garlic powder and a little bit of pepper flake to kick it up in heat a notch.

Sure, why not! The recipe has white pepper, which you substitute half with powdered cayenne, or all of it. This way the sauce is still smooth. You can add red pepper flakes as well :)

K

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky