Meater probes....... Sorry to say but I would stay far far away from them.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m not sure why people put so much stock in cooking to temp, generally.

Think of it this way, most fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen, not necessarily catch fish. It’s a gimmick. Good fishermen don’t kill fish with the latest greatest lures. As the same good cooks just learn how to cook. I use a pen therm for some things. The temp gives a better idea of where you are, but the way that pin therm goes in and comes out on feel tells me way more than the actual temp. Sausage and smaller stuff I need to know temp as to not over Cook, but Bbq, not needed in my view.
Most of what I cook I use temp to get me in the ball park. I dont need 0.001F accuracy. Hell +/- 5 I would be fine with. But I like to have it for monitoring on long cooks. Last brisket I didnt even do probe tender or any of that crap. I just cooked it till 180 - 190 or so till I liked the bark then rested at 150 for 24 hours. Some of the best brisket I have made.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Most of what I cook I use temp to get me in the ball park. I dont need 0.001F accuracy. Hell +/- 5 I would be fine with. But I like to have it for monitoring on long cooks. Last brisket I didnt even do probe tender or any of that crap. I just cooked it till 180 - 190 or so till I liked the bark then rested at 150 for 24 hours. Some of the best brisket I have made.
I agree 100%.

I have my Webber dialed in. I going to pull the trigger next week on a Cook Shack Amerique (SM066) electric smoker. It has the resting capability built in. The most I have rested a brisket was 7 hours (FTC method). Now I want to try at least 12 hours. I bet 24 would be awesome also.

I’m not sure why people put so much stock in cooking to temp, generally.

Think of it this way, most fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen, not necessarily catch fish. It’s a gimmick. Good fishermen don’t kill fish with the latest greatest lures.
Ain't that the truth. Been caught many times that way I'm sorry to say. Gotta go, I hear Tackle Warehouse is running a sale!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky