Meater for Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doongie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Wisconsin
I have been looking at wifi thermometers, and read a few threads on these forums to get an idea about which one might suit me best, lo and behold I received a Meater for Christmas!
I have read a couple threads about them. Seems the block may have had a rocky launch. Hopefully this one will work well for me.

My initial impression is quite good. It seems sturdy and well made. It is a larger diameter than any other thermometer or probe I have used, so it will leave a bigger hole in my finished product, but that’s not really much of an issue, just something I noticed.
The storage box is nice, and includes the charger. I immediately noticed I had trouble removing it from the charger clips, my fingers are too big to get a solid hold on it. Nothing a quick shake won’t fix, but it would be nice if I could just grab it.
Initial setup was easy. Bluetooth pairing was no problem. I was not impressed that it appeared I could not use it without registering for a cloud acct., and immediately considered whether or not I would actually use the thing. By starting the registration process and returning to the previous screen I was finally given an option to continue without cloud acct registration. This should be easier. I feel like I was being tricked into thinking the only way was with the cloud registration. Maybe one day I will change my mind, but I think it should be presented as an option right up front, and not the way it is.

Aside from those minor issues, I look forward to using it within a few days, and will report back.

Reactions: fivetricks
Well, so far so good, with the exception that it keeps disconnecting. This is a known issue, generally attributed to the density of the oven door or the structure of the smoker.

I am using an older (10 years?) MES30, this should not be the issue.
I am trying to connect through a sliding glass door, from behind though, maybe that’s the issue? I will have to test other locations when this wonderful Wisconsin weather is more favorable to leaving an electronic device sitting outside.

Aside from the connection issue, I like it.

Well, so far so good, with the exception that it keeps disconnecting. This is a known issue, generally attributed to the density of the oven door or the structure of the smoker.

I am using an older (10 years?) MES30, this should not be the issue.
I am trying to connect through a sliding glass door, from behind though, maybe that’s the issue? I will have to test other locations when this wonderful Wisconsin weather is more favorable to leaving an electronic device sitting outside.

Aside from the connection issue, I like it.

The regular Meater has pretty poor range. I had to use one of our iPads right next to the grill and use it as a wifi repeater to my other devices. My grilling area is covered but you could put it in a zip lock bag.

Actually, my smoker is on the outside of my sliding glass door, and I had my ipad laying on a table inside, about 4 ft from the smoker, trying to use it as a wifi repeater, but it regularly lost contact. I’m thinking maybe the exact angle between them had a lot of structure or something, I don’t know. Anyway, it’s too cold right now to get any closer to my smoker, so, we’ll see how it tests out in the late spring or summer.
Or maybe it loses contact when the ipad goes to sleep mode?

This is my first use, and the probe laid in the charger for a week, and it has a green light, so low charge is not the issue.

Actually, my smoker is on the outside of my sliding glass door, and I had my ipad laying on a table inside, about 4 ft from the smoker, trying to use it as a wifi repeater, but it regularly lost contact. I’m thinking maybe the exact angle between them had a lot of structure or something, I don’t know. Anyway, it’s too cold right now to get any closer to my smoker, so, we’ll see how it tests out in the late spring or summer.
Or maybe it loses contact when the ipad goes to sleep mode?

This is my first use, and the probe laid in the charger for a week, and it has a green light, so low charge is not the issue.

It won’t lose connection when the screen turns off. The range with Bluetooth is just not very good once you put it inside a smoker or grill.
Maybe try standing the iPad up next to the sliding glass door.

Reactions: doongie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky