Meat Smoking Manifesto - A lite book review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phantom krankor

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 15, 2014
Dallas, TX
Here in Dallas they have a half hour "Smoking with Franklin" tv show on the public TV station.   Since I'm a novice smoker myself wanted to get some books on the topic, and he's pretty famous, so thought I'd support him. I'm just getting into the book, and so far it's pretty entertaining, lots of stories and explaining concepts, but good info too.   It's entertaining, and an easy read.

That's all, there may be another thread on books, but if ya'll feel like replying any other book recommendations will be appreciated
biggrin.gif

Here in Dallas they have a half hour "Smoking with Franklin" tv show on the public TV station.   Since I'm a novice smoker myself wanted to get some books on the topic, and he's pretty famous, so thought I'd support him. I'm just getting into the book, and so far it's pretty entertaining, lots of stories and explaining concepts, but good info too.   It's entertaining, and an easy read.

That's all, there may be another thread on books, but if ya'll feel like replying any other book recommendations will be appreciated
biggrin.gif
I agree with you.  It was a good read and is not really a recipe book.  It is more of what I look for rather than a straight up recipe book like "Smoke & Spice" which was quite disappointed with.  Smoke & Spice is a straight recipe only book with no real smoking info.  All recipes are basically 200-225F smoker temp, no mention of Internal Temperature (IT) to cook meet at, recipes go off time, and no mention of any wood recommendations or how long to apply smoke vs cooking time.  

Franklin's book isn't really a recipe book but he does a great job of covering smoking and cooking and everything else.  His recipes are good as well with technique and he covers IT on most recipes but also does not cover how long to apply smoke.  It is a far superior "smoking" book to Smoke & Spice.  Smoke & Spice is a better "recipe" book for ideas and recipe lists but that's about it.

I wish I could recommend other books but that's all I have for you.  BTW, I'm about to make a post about my first trip to Franklin's for lunch today.  Perfect timing on your post :)

Nice, thanks for the feedback, I'll stay away from that Smoke and Spice, but I'll see if the library has it maybe.  Enjoy Franklin's, when I went down to Austin last I went to a food truck bbq setup that I heard was somehow related to him?  

I think if you get there early enough the wait isn't too bad.  

Hope you enjoyed it, I remember the place I went being very solid.    I do want to head to Lockhart TX at some point.

Phantom, I got Smoke & Spice as a gift a few years ago. It does have some good recipes and some other smoking info as well as a bunch of entertaining blurbs. Would not recommend buying it but if you can get it at the library some of the recipes are worth checking out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky