MB 560 gaskets on chute lid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
My MB 560 has leaked out of the corners of the lid on top of the chute, since it was new. It was no big deal. But the leaks are getting worse. I put a piece of foil over the top of the chute, but I think I'm gonna have to do something with the gasket.

I tried Tom Horsman's gasket replacement. Where he used the red " tadpole " gasket, and that was a complete failure and a waste of money. I noticed a brief shot on one of his recent vids, that he's redone the top of the chute. Somehow I must've missed him sharing that with us, anyone know where to find info on what he's done ?

Or does anyone have a good solution for sealing that chute lid ?

I have the same problem on my 1050 and have been putting off finding a solution for it. I think I have seen suggestions of using LavaLock or something similar. According to the specs the gasket is good up to 800F, and I see at least one that is rated up to 1,000F, so I think that would be OK at the top of the chute.

My guess is that would work as well as anything, but I would love to hear from someone that has actually used it. I will be following this one to see what info we can get.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Using foil over the top of the chute on my 800 caused it to leak a small but significant amount of smoke, so I stopped using it. I just scape off the creosote build up every few cooks.

The stock gasket seems to be sealing pretty well, however, I assume it will degrade overtime and need to be replaced. I'd love to hear what works for others, so I can do the same when the time comes.

• Haha
Vid should start looking at Horsman's mod to hopper cover, looks like he's added a gasket and a cover

I used rutland high temp sealer and a rope gasket on both firebox doors and I put lava lok on the lid. That's the only mod I did to mine three years ago. the lava lock and rope gasket works great

I used this on the top of the hopper and the side of the firebox so that the existing gaskets would seal against them. It's not perfect, but it's MUCH better than the OEM gasket alone.

I've got some left, and if I can find it, I'm going to try to seal the main door better too. Originally I didn't think it needed it, but I'm afraid that my inner tinkerer is getting the best of me. 😃😃

Oh yeah, I'm using some foil on top of the hopper too, but just to keep the creosote from building up so bad inside the lid.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: mcokevin
I used RTV Sealant on the cook chamber door. I did not do a good job, I'm gonna scrape it off and re-do, now that I know where I went wrong. Good thing it comes off easily. I don't like the felt gaskets on that kind of door, the sealant is much better because it does not interfere with how the door closes.

I'm also gonna find a big cheap pizza pan and cut a cover like Horsman has done. He's used two different type of gasket.

• Haha
I used RTV Sealant on the cook chamber door. I did not do a good job, I'm gonna scrape it off and re-do, now that I know where I went wrong. Good thing it comes off easily. I don't like the felt gaskets on that kind of door, the sealant is much better because it does not interfere with how the door closes.

I'm also gonna find a big cheap pizza pan and cut a cover like Horsman has done. He's used two different type of gasket.

You should try sealant and flat rope gasket. I have had 0 issues with either of my firebox doors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky