Mavrick 732 or 733

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
HI All I have had the 732 for about 3 years now, working good..Need another one undecided about going with the 732 or the 733. I like the bigger the display and black color  on the 733..Any one have both? Any thoughts on this matter.

Question the 732 probes work on the 733?

Thanks Dan

PS I don't need any thing  fancy like blue tooth/Etc.

Last edited:

HI All I have had the 732 for about 3 years now, working good..Need another one undecided about going with the 732 or the 733. I like the bigger the display and black color  on the 733..Any one have both? Any thoughts on this matter.

Question the 732 probes work on the 733?

Thanks Dan

PS I don't need any thing  fancy like blue tooth/Etc.
I just got a second ET-732, so now I have an ET-73 in my Meat curing fridge, and a black ET-732 & a white ET-732 for my MES.

This way I don't have to learn any fancy setting things that the 733 has, and it's easy to keep my notes organized with the two different colors.

Plus I know everything is interchangeable between  the two 732s.

Bear

I don't have the 733, but I have to say the person that designed the user interface for the 732 is a complete idiot. First of all, does the alarm setpoint really need to go down to 32? Whose cooking food at those temps? And the high alarm on the food goes to 572?  OK, I get the fact that you could use either side for the BBQ probe, but this means that if you overshoot your desired setpoint when programming, you've got to scroll past 540 digits to get back because it only increments up, not down. So you've got to stop well before you hit the desired setpoint and then press single times to get it where you want. None of this would be THAT bad, except for the fact that the damn thing BEEPS with every keypress! Really? Who thinks that's a good idea?  So I've got to move to a different part of the house when I'm setting it up when the rest of the family is asleep. 

Extra points for having it BEEP when you press the backlight button. That was brilliant 
hit.gif

So, does the 733 suffer from the same problems? Does it have a decrement button? Does it BEEP with every key press?

My answer is that I had a choice between buying the ET-732 and 733. I looked at them both, did some reading up, and chose the ET-733. It's a challenge to set up and to change settings but you can use it as is right out of the box to monitor temps. That all being said, I really like having the ET-733, it's larger display screens, and its increased range over the 732. The alarm feature has been a huge help during all my smokes.

Todd Johnson just happens to sell replacement 6' probes for both the 732 and the 733 and they're on sale!

I don't have the 733, but I have to say the person that designed the user interface for the 732 is a complete idiot. First of all, does the alarm setpoint really need to go down to 32? Whose cooking food at those temps? And the high alarm on the food goes to 572?  OK, I get the fact that you could use either side for the BBQ probe, but this means that if you overshoot your desired setpoint when programming, you've got to scroll past 540 digits to get back because it only increments up, not down. So you've got to stop well before you hit the desired setpoint and then press single times to get it where you want. None of this would be THAT bad, except for the fact that the damn thing BEEPS with every keypress! Really? Who thinks that's a good idea?  So I've got to move to a different part of the house when I'm setting it up when the rest of the family is asleep. 

Extra points for having it BEEP when you press the backlight button. That was brilliant 
hit.gif

So, does the 733 suffer from the same problems? Does it have a decrement button? Does it BEEP with every key press?
LOL---I should have mentioned, I like my Therm to be bare bones. If I could get one with no alarms, no beeping, no frills, I'd get it.

I would have stuck with the ET-73, but it's distance sucked, which is why I demoted it to 24-365 Fridge Duty only!!

Bear

Twice I ordered the Maverick ET733 and twice I sent it back.  Twice bitten...   The first one was unprogramable.  I thought it was me at first but after fiddling around with it for a couple of hours, It became obvious that it was junk.  The next one worked OK but was 5 degrees off at the boiling point of water.  I tested it with four other thermometers at the same time and only the 733 was off by more than two degrees.   For me, above all, the thermometer must be accurate.  The bells and whistles are nice but useless if you can't get an accurate reading.  The reviews on Amazon are quite telling.

Got the maverick Remington 732 (ETRM-732) and it has the same range as the 733. I think the only thing different than the non Remington is the that it has Remington's name on it. Guy at the BBQ store said maverick had worked the bugs out of the 732.

Got the maverick Remington 732 (ETRM-732) and it has the same range as the 733. I think the only thing different than the non Remington is the that it has Remington's name on it. Guy at the BBQ store said maverick had worked the bugs out of the 732.
Maverick also makes one under the Ivation brand, too. Since by any other name it all looks the same I wonder why Maverick does this?

I'm not getting error codes, just that the food temp is 215 d*  while the thing is sitting next to me on the kitchen counter...

Any ideas? It's not been out in rain, but I guess humidity could have screwed it up, guess try that first or is there a way to recalibrate?

Grrrrr! 11 p.m. smoke. Need me mav'rick.

Lol. now 275! even better!

Last edited:
Yea, did a boil test and it started at 314, dropped in one reading to 236, then bounced around further, 214, 342 blah blah blah. .

Took the 'base" unit outside and it reads the cooking/barbeque(?) temp close to right on.

So, its the probe. I've left it in the box as well @ 280 for my jerk thighs, maybe that will dry it our or whatever in a couple hours.

Back to old school!

Booyah! Thanks for the feedback.

BYB

Last edited:
Can't get the ends wet where the cable enters the probe. The 735 probes are supposed to be waterproof and work with the 723 and 733.

The ends haven't been wetted, though maybe abused and overused for months on end...

I'll see if drying it out works, if not I'll give it a deconstruction and rebuild, see how that works.

Smoker temp Is more important to me anyway right now, they're just 99 cent yardbird legs, so not gonna lose any sleep over it.

They'll be done when I SAY they're done!

Thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky