Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewAgeRetroDad

Original poster
Dec 6, 2020
Hey everyone, I picked up a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite model 20051713 from a coworker and I can't find any information on it except for an owners manual online. Has anyone used or owned this model? I'm also looking for ways to make it perform better if you have any tips and tricks.

I have the 40 xl propane.... Love it.... First thing is first, get yourself an oven thermometer. The door thermo is way off. I don't leave all my grates in. I only put in the amount of grates I need. Cover your water pan in aluminum foil, makes for easier clean up. Only use a hand full of chips about 1 cup and that is all. More than that is a waste.. And they catch fire and make for a crappy time smoking. Make a wind block.... Three sides. A little gust of wind blows the flame out. Also leave the vent wide open for smoking. I am trying to make a wind block for mine now. I have used my smoker in Alaska in negative temps, and she held 275 no probs.

Get you a rusty ass 12" cast iron skillet, put it on top of the burner shield, then put wood chunks and a couple pieces of charcoal briquettes in it. The briquettes will give your briskets a really nice smoke ring

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky