Masterbuilt problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bikerbob

Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Ontario Canada
Good day gents
I am still rather new to smoking
Have an older masterbuilt smoker and have always had trouble getting temp down to 225. I have placed needle valve in the line which helped some. Planning on changing the regulator and would appreciate advise on required pressure. Any other suggestions more than welcome
Thank you
Bikerbob

I also use a MB gasser. Waiting on the replies. Thinking of doing bacon and will need the low temps.
Jim

You need a low pressure regulator (10” wc). I switched to this:

The tanks will vary pressure quite a bit as they empty and if they get warmed by the sun. A single stage reg can have a hard time regulating a steady outlet pressure with large swings of inlet pressure. Even with the needle valve, mine was not able to maintain a low, steady temp. At lower temps, you may want to look into some kind of wind block so the low flame does not get blown out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker

Good day gents
I am still rather new to smoking
Have an older masterbuilt smoker and have always had trouble getting temp down to 225. I have placed needle valve in the line which helped some. Planning on changing the regulator and would appreciate advise on required pressure. Any other suggestions more than welcome
Thank you
Bikerbob
[/QUOTE]
FOLLOW UP

Ok I purchased a low pressure regulator similar to OLDSMOKE'S. Was able to get low steady temps; but fame is yellow not blue. Has anyone replaced the burner and the Masterbuilt; and with what

Has anyone replaced the burner and the Masterbuilt; and with what

Is the orfice and burner tube clean?

147F499A-1391-4315-87B5-C3B6712B9C8E.jpeg
I‘m getting a nice blue flame with the original burner.

Is the orfice and burner tube clean?

View attachment 494110
I‘m getting a nice blue flame with the original burner.
Sorry for not getting back to your prompt reply; family got in the way
I have attached 5 photos
First is the junction of the gas nozzle and burner stem; as can be seen there is no adjustable shutter to control the mix.
Second is of the smoker a Masterbuilt XL
Third is the new adjustable gas regulator
Fourth is of the flame tank is full open, smoker gas control at max. red control on regulator at about 1/2 open.
Fifth is as above with red control turn down till flame is non-existand.
It is my understanding that a yellow flame indicates a lack of oxygen; mulling over the thought of opening the holes in the burner stem. Your thoughts on the above
thanks Bikerbob

Attachments

• 2021-04-27 11-41-16 - 0040.jpg
    2021-04-27 11-41-16 - 0040.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2021-04-27 11-42-27 - 0059.jpg
    2021-04-27 11-42-27 - 0059.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 36
  • 2021-04-27 11-42-36 - 0060.jpg
    2021-04-27 11-42-36 - 0060.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 2021-04-27 11-54-00 - 0001.jpg
    2021-04-27 11-54-00 - 0001.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 2021-04-27 11-54-28 - 0002.jpg
    2021-04-27 11-54-28 - 0002.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 33
Check inside the burner tube to make sure critters haven’t built a nest. Spiders consider burner tubes to be the equivalent to water front property. If it is clean, did it burn correctly with the original reg?

OK after taking the burner off and blowing out with compressed air; found some corrsion bits.
Then took a side grinder to the burner inlet holes and opened to slots and made a homemade shutter for control
Reassemble and giving it a dry run; nice blue flame after adjusting the shutter and can adjust the temperature to a constant 228/230. Thru a couple chunks of hickory in the cast iron pan; didn't want to ignite; used a propane torch to ignite; getting nice blue smoke.
May get to love this smoker after all

At low temps, I had trouble getting hickory to consistently smoke. Apple worked ok. I switched to a tube and pellets and had better, consistent smoke. The trays don’t seem to work as well as tubes in propane smokers.

OK after taking the burner off and blowing out with compressed air; found some corrsion bits.
Then took a side grinder to the burner inlet holes and opened to slots and made a homemade shutter for control
Reassemble and giving it a dry run; nice blue flame after adjusting the shutter and can adjust the temperature to a constant 228/230. Thru a couple chunks of hickory in the cast iron pan; didn't want to ignite; used a propane torch to ignite; getting nice blue smoke.
May get to love this smoker after all
Hey Biker I have the same smoker. I have found that at low low temps the CI pan wont allow the chunks to smoke very well. I got a smoker box and use it for low temp smokes.
Jim

Thanks for all of your helpful advice; intend to smoke some precooked sausage for a trial run
Results to follow
Bikerbob

I've been thinking about trying pre-cooked sausage. How will you be doing it?

Nothing special.
Place the links on the racks and smoke till internal temp is 165 ( just for saftey sake)
Living in Canada and presently dealing with cold and rain; not to mention covid lockdown.
Where do you put your time in

In Oregon. We have had intermittent really nice spring weather. I’m smoking a pork butt right now, sitting on the patio, with intermittent sun and a bit of bourbon left over from the sauce I just made. We just got locked down again.

You need a low pressure regulator (10” wc). I switched to this:

The tanks will vary pressure quite a bit as they empty and if they get warmed by the sun. A single stage reg can have a hard time regulating a steady outlet pressure with large swings of inlet pressure. Even with the needle valve, mine was not able to maintain a low, steady temp. At lower temps, you may want to look into some kind of wind block so the low flame does not get blown out.
Smoke, Could you please post the specs or at least a picture of that low-pressure regulator you've mentioned? For some reason the link or picture you posted doesn't show up on my browser. I also have a Masterbuilt that burns too hot. But Bayou Classic told me the MP5HPR1 is high pressure amd would be too hot for my smoker.

Last edited:
But Bayou Classic told me the MP5HPR1 is high pressure amd would be too hot for my smoker.
Go to Bayou classic and type in low pressure regulator it will come up. Sorry no link.
SMF lot of times will not let me paste item ( sometime does sometimes not ) from my Kindle, just gives the whatever .com. I know they are not a sponsor but was trying to help.

Go to Bayou classic and type in low pressure regulator it will come up. Sorry no link.
SMF lot of times will not let me paste item ( sometime does sometimes not ) from my Kindle, just gives the whatever .com. I know they are not a sponsor but was trying to help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky