Masterbuilt not working properly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's the MES 30.  It's the newer version that they got smarter and put the connectors to the element in a small compartment in the back so you don't have to take the whole back off to get to them.  

It's the MES 30.  It's the newer version that they got smarter and put the connectors to the element in a small compartment in the back so you don't have to take the whole back off to get to them.  
That doesn't tell which Generation it is.

In order to help you, it sometimes has to be known.

More than one generation has the elements in the little compartment.

Look at the Link I gave you & see if it's a Gen #1, Gen #2, or Gen #2.5.

Thanks,

Bear

It looks identical to the MES 30 generation 1.  I didn't see pictures for the 30 for generation 2 and 2.5 or are the changes the same as the 40?

It looks identical to the MES 30 generation 1.  I didn't see pictures for the 30 for generation 2 and 2.5 or are the changes the same as the 40?
What is your model # or serial # that would help people so they can help you.

It's the Generation 1 then.  The model # is 20070910.
OK---Good---It's a Gen #1. Now it's easier to say what I would do.

That means you don't have a Bluetooth, and your control is not built into the top front edge of the smoker.

Your control is in an attachable box mounted on the center, back of the top of your smoker.

I would call MB & tell them you want a new controller that matches up with your Model number.

Be nice & Remind them about all the trouble you've had & maybe they'll send you one for free,

Bear

Anyone have this problem? The other day while getting out my smoker I noticed a crack in the top of the door. This is a picture of the door on my 40. The same thing happened to my 30. Should I contact Masterbuilt or just fix it myself? The 40 was purchased on Black Friday from Academy and the 30 is about a year and a half purchased from Lowe's.

Ok thanks Bear.  I called them after I had initially replaced the connectors and the element and they would only send me another element.  They sent it for free so I guess I'll try that even though I'm almost positive that that's not the problem.  After that I'll try and sweet talk them for a new controller.

Thanks for the help

Ok thanks Bear.  I called them after I had initially replaced the connectors and the element and they would only send me another element.  They sent it for free so I guess I'll try that even though I'm almost positive that that's not the problem.  After that I'll try and sweet talk them for a new controller.

Thanks for the help
Sounds like a good plan.

Bear

Anyone have this problem? The other day while getting out my smoker I noticed a crack in the top of the door. This is a picture of the door on my 40. The same thing happened to my 30. Should I contact Masterbuilt or just fix it myself? The 40 was purchased on Black Friday from Academy and the 30 is about a year and a half purchased from Lowe's.
It's hard to tell how bad that is in the pic, but it wouldn't hurt to call them, and maybe send them a Pic.

If you can fix it you could at least tell them about it, in case it gets worse, and you need a new door.

Bear

Had same issue with my Gen 1 we purchased from OVC. Called Materbuilt wanting to buy just the small plastic top on the door but they wanted to sell me a whole door. My experience with their customer service is that they are running from any and all issues, I have always been kind and respectful with whoever I'm talking to. I love the smoker and the only problem I've had with its operation was a few weeks back when it was cold it wouldn't start so I brought the controller inside and let it warm up and it started and ran great. Just bought the the amazin pellet tray and absolutely love it! 

I have resisted saying for DAYSSSS now, but I can't any longer.

I know this does not help THIS  specific thread, but I want to get the word out to future Masterbuilt buying prospects that may read this prior to purchase.

The volume of Electronic "Digital" Masterbuilt Smoker problems of varying technical sorting, is frickin Insane.

VERY, WAY to high % differing "failures"

AND, there is no Plastic in the construction, only Steel.

Thank God, I am a reader, and purchased a Masterbuilt "Old School" Analog after all my research on the SMF.

I HIGHLY suggest buying prospects to do their search study here, in the "Electric Smokers" SubForum,  than decide what to buy.

Marc

Last edited:
Reactions: gr0uch0
I have resisted saying for DAYSSSS now, but I can't any longer.

I know this does not help this thread, but I want to get the word out to future Masterbuilt buying prospects.

The volume of Electronic "Digital" Masterbuilt Smoker problems of varying technical sorting, is frickin Insane.

VERY, WAY to high % differing "failures"

Thank God, I am a reader, and purchased a Masterbuilt "Old School" Analog after my research.

Marc
The heating element in the digital mes not being centered in the smoker because it would cost more to make a longer chip loader tunnel blows me away. Then the top vent on the gen 2.5 could be in the top center rear not directly over food for condesation to drip on. At least that would eliminate interior mods for even heating. I don't have mes digital controller issues yet and have never used chips so the heating element is exposed since I removed the interior chip burning system. I do need to get down low for occassional sausage smokes. The original heating element connectors didn't last a year but that was an easy fix. The designs over the years with not getting the units symmetrical in everyway is perplexing. When this gen1 40 hiccups I'll gut it for parts and recyle the box/door or give it away and plug in my back up identical. When that fails I'll PID. Then when the heating elements fail MB may have a gen 5 that is symetrical or whater and I can start over. Or just do what you did. I do like insulated smokers.
-Kurt

The heating element in the digital mes not being centered in the smoker because it would cost more to make a longer chip loader tunnel blows me away. Then the top vent on the gen 2.5 could be in the top center rear not directly over food for condesation to drip on. At least that would eliminate interior mods for even heating. I don't have mes digital controller issues yet and have never used chips so the heating element is exposed since I removed the interior chip burning system. I do need to get down low for occassional sausage smokes. The original heating element connectors didn't last a year but that was an easy fix. The designs over the years with not getting the units symmetrical in everyway is perplexing. When this gen1 40 hiccups I'll gut it for parts and recyle the box/door or give it away and plug in my back up identical. When that fails I'll PID. Then when the heating elements fail MB may have a gen 5 that is symetrical or whater and I can start over. Or just do what you did. I do like insulated smokers.
-Kurt
Hi Kurt,
My Gen #2.5 doesn't need any mod, like my Gen #1 did. Moving the Top vent to the back left worked fine, and the vent isn't right in the middle of the top, dripping on the food, like the CookShack my Son had used to do. The Gen #2.5 is Awesome!!!

Putting the heating element in the center would have made more unusable space in the smoker, because the farther away from the side it is, the higher it has to come through the wall. Probably more of a reason than the cost of a longer chip loader chute.

Bear

Again, for buying prospects, the MES analog models have a double sheet metal wall, but NO foam insulation like the "Digitals".

So, in the Analog, the element is 1500w, in the digitals, approx 1/2 that.

I DO NOT KNOW if the Analog has a higher interior peak temp than the Digital, BUT I do know it will last w/o trouble statistically WAY WAY WAY longer.  

Want something more accurate or limited Temp then you need for 90% of meats?  Then get  and add an Auber plug and play for the Analog, and leave the original controller knob on "High".

And for low smoking temps, AMNPS for your consistent smoke source that does not depend on smoker element being "On".

TOTALLY independant of smoker element heat.           Marc 

Last edited:
I have the 40" digital version.  It has, according to their website, a 1200 watt element.  As for lasting way long, I'm calling BS on that one!

I've had the heater connection burn out twice now mandating that I finish my pulled pork in the oven!  Also, I've replaced the control panel once.  These things are JUNK!  Also, anyone that can keep the glass window even moderately clean is OCD to the max.  It got covered before I ever finished the first pork butt.  Now I just kick myself for spending an extra hundred bucks for the glass that's buried under the grime.  This POS has not been engineered.  It's been pulled out of someone's nightmare.

My smoker now sits in the garage, where it's always been, waiting for me to fix the heater AGAIN!  The wiring, IF YOU CAN GET AT IT, is marginal at best and may meet CHINESE standards, but it's scary to see how it's wired.  JUNK JUNK JUNK

Oh, and yes, my plastic pieces have all cracked too.  AND my touch panel covering is all wrinkled and nasty looking.  Can't wait to see what MB wants to replace it AGAIN!  This might be a project for a Raspberry Pi!!!!!

Last edited:
-Kurt

Hi Kurt,
My Gen #2.5 doesn't need any mod, like my Gen #1 did. Moving the Top vent to the back left worked fine, and the vent isn't right in the middle of the top, dripping on the food, like the CookShack my Son had used to do. The Gen #2.5 is Awesome!!!

Putting the heating element in the center would have made more unusable space in the smoker, because the farther away from the side it is, the higher it has to come through the wall. Probably more of a reason than the cost of a longer chip loader chute.

Bear
Hi Bear

I didn't clarify all digital Mes top vents are in proximity to the back wall (including the gen 2 top side vent.) My intended meaning was to put the top vent in between the gen1 and gen 2.5 top vents (centered between those two at the back of the smoker so no condensation drips on food) if the element was centered in the bottom.  Then if the element was centered in the bottom, the chip burner dumper system accessed under the door (looking at the door from the front) maybe identical to the side systems we owners know. If you took one of your chainsaws and cut down the middle of any digital mes from the front looking at the door and those two halves are identical on the inside, that's the smoker I want (but doesn't exist.) I have empathy for those of us that haven't had five years of flawless operation but dream of what we think could be perfection.  All's good!

-Kurt 

Hi Bear

I didn't clarify all digital Mes top vents are in proximity to the back wall (including the gen 2 top side vent.) My intended meaning was to put the top vent in between the gen1 and gen 2.5 top vents (centered between those two at the back of the smoker so no condensation drips on food) if the element was centered in the bottom.  Then if the element was centered in the bottom, the chip burner dumper system accessed under the door (looking at the door from the front) maybe identical to the side systems we owners know. If you took one of your chainsaws and cut down the middle of any digital mes from the front looking at the door and those two halves are identical on the inside, that's the smoker I want (but doesn't exist.) I have empathy for those of us that haven't had five years of flawless operation but dream of what we think could be perfection.  All's good!

-Kurt 
I think I know what you're saying, Kurt, however if you look at the pains they went through in the way they shaped the cover over the inside of the Chip dumper in the Gen#2.5, and the way they made the water pan "Split-Level bottom", you'll understand what I meant by them not wanting to move the element to the center, because they don't want to lose any space by moving the chip dumper up any higher. They need more height for the chute to have the proper drop down to the chip pan, if they would move the Heating element to the center, where WE would like it to be.

And since the heating element is on the right, the top vent is better on the top left than on the top center.

And I realize you meant Center near the back, but if I load my Smoker, I avoid putting meat under the back left corner, in case it ever drips, and I would find that more of a PITA if that was in the Center Back.

BTW: Not that it has anything to do with the MES, but that CookShack my Son had years ago had the top vent in the center & pretty far from the back. (Talk about bad design)

Bear

The top frame (plastic) cracked on my 40", too. I called MB and they sent me a brand new door, no charge, way after the warrantee ran out. Excellent service!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky