MasterBuilt Gravity 560!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

4x15mph

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Long time user of the Weber kettle for smoking but wanted some temp control to aid in overnight smokes. I bought a lava lock controller for the kettle and have had some great results. Fast forward to a week ago and I learned of this Masterbuild 560 gravity feed... charcoal smoker. I found one that night and brought it home. This thing is incredible for the build in temp controller, wifi, and charcoal/wood gravity fuel. It is awesome for auto-cook and does a great job with smoking. They have had issues with shipping damage since they are heavy but once you get past that it is every bit worth.... $500. Not kidding. $500. I will still use the kettle for fun, like driving a 6-spd, but when I need to heat quick or overnight, the 560 will be my choice. You should see this grill go from 250 to 700 degrees in about 6-8 minutes tops.

Long time user of the Weber kettle for smoking but wanted some temp control to aid in overnight smokes. I bought a lava lock controller for the kettle and have had some great results. Fast forward to a week ago and I learned of this Masterbuild 560 gravity feed... charcoal smoker. I found one that night and brought it home. This thing is incredible for the build in temp controller, wifi, and charcoal/wood gravity fuel. It is awesome for auto-cook and does a great job with smoking. They have had issues with shipping damage since they are heavy but once you get past that it is every bit worth.... $500. Not kidding. $500. I will still use the kettle for fun, like driving a 6-spd, but when I need to heat quick or overnight, the 560 will be my choice. You should see this grill go from 250 to 700 degrees in about 6-8 minutes tops.

The Weber is like the VeeDub of smokers... practical, reliable, economical.

The 560 is like moving up to a Shelby Cobra !

Reactions: 4x15mph
I've been on the 560 bandwagon since the first part of January. Never could get wi-fi working on mine, broke down and bought a Fireboard controller and haven't looked back. If Masterbuilt had incorporated the Fireboard as their controller, for another 100$, it would have been worth it. Rock solid wifi connection each and every time, and since it's a stand alone, doesn't require you to push a button to reconnect after you open a door or lid

Reactions: Will Squared
Today I am going to smoke some jalapenos and brine some chicken for tomorrow.

There was plenty of meat at Smart & Final yesterday so we have a big thick Bottom Roast to figure something with.

TP Isle was cleared out though...

They are restocking the Lumps and Briquets so that's a good thing.
I saw other guys buying smoking essential too.

LoL omg the horror we have to hit a button after opening doors... seriously not a problem with the product. I just fired up my 560 for 2 racks of ribs and besides a slow light because I forgot the slides I had 0 issues lol.

People were wanting information. I gave it to them. No need being snarky. I never got the Masterbuilt wi-fi working. That's the horror.

As an owner of several Masterbuilt electric smokers I have had very few issues after heavy use. I purchased a pellet pooper about 18 months ago and never been real satisfied with it. I was contemplating buying the Weber FireSmoke until I saw the price and many complaints about quality and mixed results on cooks. So the question is what is the background/ history of the folks above who are singing the praises of the Masterbuilt?

I never got the Masterbuilt wi-fi working.

I am prone to be more old school but I haven't used my phone yet.
I like to tinker and play with it... more hands on.

Today I smoked some Jalapenos at 160' with Pecan wood.
seven hours and it was done... but I diced it small.

Supper time so I pulled the peppers and dialed it up to 700'.

15 minutes later I threw a couple of frozen burger patties on and it was Rockin' at 741' !

5 minutes on both side and they were good to go...

Got a good "M" sear on each patty too.

I apologize for not providing pics but I am having issues with my phone to lap top communication... so there is that.

I hope everyone has a good evening and stay safe...

As an owner of several Masterbuilt electric smokers I have had very few issues after heavy use. I purchased a pellet pooper about 18 months ago and never been real satisfied with it. I was contemplating buying the Weber FireSmoke until I saw the price and many complaints about quality and mixed results on cooks. So the question is what is the background/ history of the folks above who are singing the praises of the Masterbuilt?
Believe or not believe, trust or don't trust. I don't have to give you a resume of my past cooking experiences

So the question is what is the background/ history of the folks above who are singing the praises of the Masterbuilt?

Carpenter of 45 years. ( I'm 67)
I'll save my stories and chip them out one at a time.

Concerning the 560... I can admire and appreciate the simplicity of the design...

It is an elegant solution to the problems of the pellet poopers.

So the question is what is the background/ history of the folks above who are singing the praises of the Masterbuilt?

Good question though...

We seem to be a new Sub-group here at SMF.
I am seeing the same folks here commenting.
Introductions might be in order.

I am Will Squared here at the board.
On the job I was called many things...

Bill Bill

Will Will

Double Dub.

Will Squared

( my Momma called me Billy Bob.)

I told them they could call me anything they like just not...
Late for Break.

I am new to smoking but have eaten all of my life and have cooked much of that myself.
Still Kickin'

LoL no worries just saying 90% of people's problems with app are user error.

Not in my case. 4 devices can't have the same problem. Apple device connected instantly. I had a running conversation with John Mclemore and some of his technical team, but I think they gave up, haven't heard from any of them for over a month now.

I've been on the 560 bandwagon since the first part of January. Never could get wi-fi working on mine, broke down and bought a Fireboard controller and haven't looked back. If Masterbuilt had incorporated the Fireboard as their controller, for another 100$, it would have been worth it. Rock solid wifi connection each and every time, and since it's a stand alone, doesn't require you to push a button to reconnect after you open a door or lid

They probably would have sent you a new temp controller for the 560. I use an iPhone and outside of user "process" initially, this thing works excellent and is part of the benefits of this grill. I am sure Fireboard is an alternate option but I would throw out this grill if the main controller was inoperable. Fortunately, it isn't and your right that if you lift the lid, you need to reset the connection. Not a problem since that doesn't happen unless I am standing at the grill.

I think it is a mixed bag but new comers definitely see this 560 as an easy entry point and they seem to be grabbing them up. I also read posts from many other experienced cooks/smokers and there are many that move from the pellet over to this 560. I don't think you will have a ton of diehard cooks going after these because the price point sort of puts it in the class of "amateur" purely based on the price point of $500. That's a big oversight IMO

I have been smoking on my Weber Kettle for many years and still like everything about that grill. It is manual and provides the fun and science of getting the cook right or wrong. In fact, when I showed my son this 560 grill, he said dad - "you gave up?".... We agreed it will help with the long cooks so that I don't have to get out of bed and agree that it has a place in a lineup of other grills. The 560 is an outstanding grill/smoker!

I have owned a couple of Masterbuilt items before I got the 560. I was happy with them but didn't use to the extent of "heavy use".

I just did my second cook last night and so far I am very happy with the 560. Although I consider myself fairly tech-savvy, I can't get the remote app to work either. I will set the temp on the phone but see no reaction on the display. But I'm an Android guy, and maybe that's the issue.

It's not a big deal to me as I had a bad experience with Bluetooth on another cooker. I went the C store and of course lost my connection. When I got back the smoker was almost glowing the temp had gotten so high.

• Wow
They probably would have sent you a new temp controller for the 560. I use an iPhone and outside of user "process" initially, this thing works excellent and is part of the benefits of this grill. I am sure Fireboard is an alternate option but I would throw out this grill if the main controller was inoperable. Fortunately, it isn't and your right that if you lift the lid, you need to reset the connection. Not a problem since that doesn't happen unless I am standing at the grill.

LOL, they actually did send a new controller with the same results

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky