Masterbuilt Glass Door or Not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jusmejim

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 26, 2013
I've had a Masterbuilt 30" and a 40" both with the glass doors. I'm considering buying a new one and it seems like the ones with the solid doors are quite a bit cheaper. Other than the obvious difference of being able to see your meat as it cooks are there any advantages or disadvantages to having one without the glass door?

Are there any other brands that I should be looking at? Other than the cheap round type one you get at Walmart I've only used Masterbuilt, and only interested in an electric one.

I personally like the glass. I realize about 1/2 way thru, you can't see anymore but that's just me.

I bought mine with the glass door. It's pretty much worthless for viewing, especially on a long smoke. After a couple of hours of smoke you can't see through it.
You can clean the glass with alcohol between smokes, if you want. I did the first couple of times. I gave up and decided I didn't need to see it.

mine has a solid door but I don't think there is any advantage either way other then seeing your meats. that's if you can keep the glass clean.

With condesation without water in the pan in this insulated smoker, the smoke may be white and disipate quickly as it exits the smoker before TBS that lingers and floats away. But the window is your true smoke meter. If you can't see your food or is going that direction then you can correct before it's too late.

Reactions: sigmo
Mine has a solid door and I don't feel like I'm missing much by not seeing the action. My probes let me see everything I need to until it's time to check on things!

I have a MES 40 with a glass door. After cleaning it a couple of times, I decided it just wasn't worth the effort. I don't spend a lot of time out by the smokers during a cook, except when I have to add chips to the MES, and once the TBS starts to roll, I fly by instruments ( remote thermometers ).

my 40 has a window but I haven't looked thru it in a long time, time/therms let me know whats going on,also smoke coming out tells me when to add wood. I haven't used my tube in it yet but soon lol

Heat loss, one would think a solid door would have better insulation properties.
I did have an issue with smoke escaping around the glass once. I contacted their customer service and they sent me a new door at no cost. I never saw it leaking again so I never swapped them out. New door is still sitting in the box they shipped it in, if I ever need it.

I've had a Masterbuilt 30" and a 40" both with the glass doors. I'm considering buying a new one and it seems like the ones with the solid doors are quite a bit cheaper. Other than the obvious difference of being able to see your meat as it cooks are there any advantages or disadvantages to having one without the glass door?

Are there any other brands that I should be looking at? Other than the cheap round type one you get at Walmart I've only used Masterbuilt, and only interested in an electric one.

Hi there and welcome!

This is a personal preference.

I personally don't think the glass is useful and I don't clean mine.

Now advantages of no glass door:
  • Cost is less for the MES unit with no glass door
  • No glass to accidentally break if you ever have to turn the unit on it's door to get to the bottom panel or do work on the unit which happens (replacing bad electrical connectors, PID conversion, etc.)
  • No glass door to clean... though I don't clean my anyways
Disadvantages:
  • You lose the option of ever being able to see into the smoker without opening the door

In all the lists are short so again it will mainly come down to your preference. I hope this helps! :)

I like that I can see what's cooking. And with the mail box mod (or in my case popcorn tin) I don't get a huge build up on the glass. Sometimes I do two or three smokes before I clean it.

Reactions: dr k
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky