Masterbuilt 560 temp accuracy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
I hope this isn't being discussed yet :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I am still in love with my MB560. My old ACHD self gets a little jiggy, particularly on ribs with temp accuracy. I typically set temp at 235 due to my "affliction" with temps. since I have 4 other smokers of varying accuracy. I have always put two inkbird probes at food grid level to check temp accuracy. I noticed when set at 235 the MB built in thermometer might say 240 while the internal inkbirds at upper grate level are typically a bit lower (10-20 degrees) and very different on starboard and port sides of grate. I cook at upper warming rack grate level typically. if you own a 560 or similar, you know if you bump up the temp settings 10 degrees , 10 seconds of fan can raise chamber temp 100 degrees or more. on brisket or butt I'm not as weird. So back to original question. do you trust the built in thermometer or verify with inkbird.(i love the graph.) I might have to change my ribs approach to get bite next time. but this is how Jess taught me, and I'd follow her to th gates of Hades.
Last Sundays race ribs attached for attention. any comments/advice appreciated.

'ciao
john

Attachments

• IMG-3394.jpg
    IMG-3394.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-3395.jpg
    IMG-3395.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: jaxgatorz
I hope this isn't being discussed yet :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I am still in love with my MB560. My old ACHD self gets a little jiggy, particularly on ribs with temp accuracy. I typically set temp at 235 due to my "affliction" with temps. since I have 4 other smokers of varying accuracy. I have always put two inkbird probes at food grid level to check temp accuracy. I noticed when set at 235 the MB built in thermometer might say 240 while the internal inkbirds at upper grate level are typically a bit lower (10-20 degrees) and very different on starboard and port sides of grate. I cook at upper warming rack grate level typically. if you own a 560 or similar, you know if you bump up the temp settings 10 degrees , 10 seconds of fan can raise chamber temp 100 degrees or more. on brisket or butt I'm not as weird. So back to original question. do you trust the built in thermometer or verify with inkbird.(i love the graph.) I might have to change my ribs approach to get bite next time. but this is how Jess taught me, and I'd follow her to th gates of Hades.
Last Sundays race ribs attached for attention. any comments/advice appreciated.

'ciao
john
I'd follow what the inkbird says.
Onboard thermometers are notorious for being wrong. If you see someone say their Masterbuilt probes (meat or smoker) are correct then I would tell them to buy a lottery ticket and share the money they win with you because they have the best luck known to man.
Masterbuilt probes are always wrong haha.

With the inkbird you can figureout where the temps are different and my bet is they stay fairly consistent in the differences so you can just about count on it... until you put a giant 28 pound turkey in there where all air direction and flow are thrown off. At that point you just keep checking the inkbird and go by what it says :)

Reactions: fxsales1959
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky