Massive brisket advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
I will start by sayin I’ve probably done 25+ packers and am by no means an expert. I have a 21.91lb prime packer from Sam’s in the feezer. I’m probably gonna smoke it for my pastor and his family for Christmas Day. I know this will take much longer than any brisket I’ve ever done, so any advice would be appreciated.

I will say I’m going to use my Rec Tec BFG to do this. Start on LO (180) for 4 hrs then bump up to 225 for a few hours and finish around 275-300 depending on how I’m feeling that day. Thinking of starting early 7:30 - 8am Christmas Eve. Would like to finish late morning on Christmas Day.

*Edit - my other option would be to start around 2pm Christmas Eve at 225 or higher, since I will be gone from about 8am-2pm.

Last edited:
Your gifting briskets this Holiday season, where can I sign up to be your friend? :emoji_laughing:
In all seriousness Id run the pit at 275 for the whole cook. The weight of the meat is a good gauge for estimating the amount of time it may take to cook, but what you really want to look at is how thick the meat is. At almost 22lbs odds are you have a very thick brisket and the thicker the meat the longer its going to take. If I where to run the temperatures you listed, Id give my self more than what you have in your description. If worst come to worst and it gets done early you can always wrap the brisket and put it in a cooler and hold it for a few hours. Let us know how it turns out, I love a good brisket!
:emoji_yum:

Your gifting briskets this Holiday season, where can I sign up to be your friend? :emoji_laughing:
In all seriousness Id run the pit at 275 for the whole cook. The weight of the meat is a good gauge for estimating the amount of time it may take to cook, but what you really want to look at is how thick the meat is. At almost 22lbs odds are you have a very thick brisket and the thicker the meat the longer its going to take. If I where to run the temperatures you listed, Id give my self more than what you have in your description. If worst come to worst and it gets done early you can always wrap the brisket and put it in a cooler and hold it for a few hours. Let us know how it turns out, I love a good brisket!
:emoji_yum:
Yeah, I usually run lo at first for better smoke profile, but second guessing it and maybe starting higher 225-250 with a few smoke tubes and 8am start.

So now I have other peeps on the Christmas brisket bandwagon and will probably be doing 2-3 more (maybe more) “normal” size briskets 12-15lb. I’m thinking it may be better just to save the 22lber for a rainy day, just to make it easier for timing purposes. Any thoughts??

Reactions: TNJAKE
Do the whole cook at 275°-300°, you still get good smoke flavor.
Or run smoke at those temps for a few hours and then kick it up to 375°-400° till done.
Saves lots of time and the results have been undeniable, great way to cook BIG briskets.

Do the whole cook at 275°-300°, you still get good smoke flavor.
Or run smoke at those temps for a few hours and then kick it up to 375°-400° till done.
Saves lots of time and the results have been undeniable, great way to cook BIG briskets.

Thanks for the quick links! I will now be doing at least 3 whole packers (one of them being the last SRF Gold I’ve been holding onto for myself) I’m worried the 22lber will be throwing the timing of the other 2 off. Not sure I wanna try a hot n fast for the first time with a Wagyu in the BFG. I do like the idea of being done in 7-8 hrs though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky