Maryland Crab Shack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kvgsqtii

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 28, 2022
SC
My son and I will be road tripping up the east coast next weekend and are looking to overnight in Maryland and want to go to a crab shack. Not looking for a tourist trap, looking for the hole in the wall with killer food.
This always seems to be the place for local secrets, anyone have a suggestion?

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds like great roadtrip. You can look at tripadvisor website for the area your wanting to stop in. Sometimes they have the local places listed on there that arent touristy. When I was travel nursing I used it a lot for that reason.

Jim

Reactions: Kvgsqtii
What part of MD are you going to be in?
Gps has us going up 95 through Baltimore, but willing to get off the interstate and get closer to the bay if that means better chow

When we were in Delaware for my daughters little league softball all star regional tournament. We found a puss-buss that served great crab cakes. We went looking for some quick grub fries, dogs, and burgers, and were quite surprised when we saw them on the menu. So I would suggest looking for a food truck or something similar.

Chris

If your looking for a great crabcake and all there are several on this list that are good. https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/maryland/best-crab-cakes-maryland/amp/
Edgewater restaurant is a hole in the wall kind of place and has been there forever.

If you want steamed crabs and all you can find those just about any place and they will be good.

There are lots of places at the inner harbor but it will be tourist destination but great food.

I have friends that like https://dockofthebay.net/ which is a little outside of Baltimore but right on the bay.

If you were going to be in Southern Maryland there are great places there too like Capt John's Crab House in Cobb Island.

If your going to the eastern shore let us know and we will get you suggestions for there.

Dock of the Bay looks good. Thank you for the suggestions!

If you like crabcake, Cameron Seafood is excellent. The Jumbo crabcake is $20 a pop (or $22 for a sandwich), take out only, but it's authentic backfin blue crab from the Chesapeake Bay - none of that Gulf of Tonkin stuff you might find in grocery stores. And it is BIG. I get them raw and cook them at home (the crab is cooked). Cameron is an area chain with multiple locations in the DC - Baltimore area.

If you want to eat authentic Chesapeake Bay crabs at a crab place, be prepared to drop some coin. The going joke is, if you had to subsist on crabs to survive, you'd die of starvation because you'd burn more calories opening the crabs and eating the meat then you would get from the meat itself. :emoji_laughing:

It is fun though - and delicious.

And while you're in town, get a Baltimore Pit Beef sandwich. Can't beat it. I like Pioneer Pit Beef just outside and just west of the Baltimore beltway.

Good luck

The going joke is, if you had to subsist on crabs to survive, you'd die of starvation because you'd burn more calories opening the crabs and eating the meat then you would get from the meat itself. :emoji_laughing:
Yeah, I've always heard that eating blue crabs was a great way to lose weight...🤣

I guess if you are coming to the Eastern Shore I might be some help. I have lived here all life my on the upper shore near the bay bridge.

Warren
We might come back that way when we drive back down later this summer. And the Baltimore Pit Beef has me intrigued so I'll have to figure out a stop for that as well.

Reactions: Marknmd
We might come back that way when we drive back down later this summer. And the Baltimore Pit Beef has me intrigued so I'll have to figure out a stop for that as well.
chaps-pit-beef-sandwich.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky