Mango Chicken Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishwrestler

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2010
Loomis,CA
First off I want to thank Big-Guy and Scarbelly for their inspiration.

So I have been working out and eating better. The wife always ask can't you make a leaner sausage. My first answer was a success. Some venison and pork brats and garlic cheddar smoked sausage. Probably not as healthy and lean as she would like but a good start. She has asked several times about chicken sausage and I guess honestly I have been a little intimidated about working with chicken. After reading Big-Guy and Scarbelly's post I thought I would five it a try.

Recipe 

Chicken Mango sausage

12 Lbs. deboned and skinnless chicken thighs
1/2 cup Onion, chopped fine
1/2 C dried Mango, chopped fine
1/2 C red pepper, chopped fine
1/2 C yellow pepper, chopped fine
6      cloves garlic, chopped fine
1    Tbs. coarse salt
2    Tbs. Parsley
1    Tbs. black pepper

I was going to add water and powdered milk, but I mixed the meat and ran a few errands , when i got home I had filled the stuffer and forgotten to add the water and milk. The mix was pretty ,moist already and when I did my fry test the meat stuck together pretty good.

Started with 12lbs(I have a hard time making small batches of anything) of frozen skinless boneless thigh from Safeway. Thawed them until still frozen, but flexible. Had the girl child feeding the grinder.

Put the meat back in the freezer

Soaked the Mango in water to soften up.

Because I was going to do a 10lb batch my ingredients was for 10 lbs. I did heaping 1/2 cups to account for 12 lbs of meat.

Cut all ingredients and mixed them together prior to pulling the chicken back out of the freezer.

Mixed all the ingredients and chicken together then place in a 2 1/2 gal zip lock and back in the refrigerator.

took a small patty for a fry test.

6bc25957_IMG_0146.jpg
Kicking myself for waiting so long to do chicken sausage.

Ran some errands.

Soaked and cleaned some casings.

Stuffed about 10 lbs into links and the other two kept for patty or loose sausage for spaghetti sauce.

06f8bd93_IMG_0141.jpg

This site is fantastic and inspires me to try new things.

Thank you to everyone who contributes,

Robert

Great job man!! 
bravo.png
  I remember my first run with that and how happy I was with it.    I did some chicken, sundried tomato sausages that came out real well too

I will have to dig up the recipe and get it up here too

Hi

Did you use the sweetened or unsweeten mango, and at this point would you change the amount of mango?

Thaks

The Big Z

The bag has sugar as an ingredient but they don't taste real sweet 

I found trying to get them soft enought to cut was hard, I do not believe the ones i use had any sugar added, but not sure

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky