Making 180lbs of Bratwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kenstarr

Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Northern Utah
People have asked so here it is, pictures of how I make large quantities of sausage at work. Hopefully I can get all the pictures on this post and in order.
Here are my steps.
1. mix up seasoning and mix with water to form a soupy mixture
2. grind pork through the 3/8" plate
3. return pork to grinder and add seasoning "soup"
4. turn the grinder on mix and attach the stuffing horn (3/8" plate is still used)
5. get casings in a bath of lukewarm water and rinse
6. grind about 5lbs of sausage through the horn to make sure there are no "dead spots" that don't have season
7. pull on a piece of casing
8. put the pedal down and regulate flow by how tightly I hold the casing on the horn
I do batches in multiples of 60lbs because that's what size case the boneless shoulder meat comes in and that's about how much I can fit in one of the gray meat lugs.
a8d72f4e_vbattach22029.jpg

6f74c5db_vbattach22030.jpg

2c338562_vbattach22031.jpg

4a0b6d0d_vbattach22032.jpg

b42799a0_vbattach22033.jpg

3026eaaf_vbattach22034.jpg

f9dff8f3_vbattach22035.jpg

cebd9096_vbattach22036.jpg

708ddcf9_vbattach22037.jpg

Thats cool what is the machine the links are passing thru and what exactly does it do?

I sure hope you get to sample some of that occasionally.
Thanks for posting, love seeing things that we would normally never get a look at.

Instead of twisting and cutting links, this handy $2800 piece of work does the links for you. It works by squeezing and then cutting the links as you turn the handle. A couple of cams make the pieces engage. Imagine two V's open towards each other. As you turn, they close and in the bottom of each are blades. I have some video of it in action but you can't post that here. I'll have to set up my own website... Youtube? Maybe there is some video there. OK, I just posted the rough video there. Type in Z-linker and it should come up. May take a day or so to be available.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky