Mailbox Mod with AMNPS Tray halfway bunrout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jp71291

Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered but I've searched and can't seem to find anything on my particular issue. My 5x8 AMNPS Tray burns perfect with dust but when I use pellets it goes out halfway through the maze. Every time it goes out exactly halfway through. I'm using pellets for more smoke on some things. I get a good white ash and air flow doesn't seem to be a problem. I also nuke the pellets. I'm sure it has something to do with the draft but I don't know how to correct. I pull it out and light the other end and it burns all the way to where it stopped the first time. Any ideas why the pellets would go out halfway through the maze and how to correct?

It would be helpful to know what smoker you are using it in.

It needs more air I raised mine using spring binder clips,others drill a small hole and use screws
Richie
AMNPS.JPG

No holes are plugged and it’s elevated with screws. I may be putting the tray too far into the mailbox?

What flavor of pellets, Cherry has issues burning by themselves.

Chris

There are three holes like Davomac's mailbox. I'm using B&B hickory pellets.

do you run your smoker with the top vents wide open, that will help with draft, like you said maybe try not to push it all the way in, I would drill another hole in your mailbox and see if that helps,

I warm my MES by waving my propane torch around on the top walls and ceiling to ensure there will be a draft when I smoke my cheese. I also have a 6 in piece of stainless stove pipe that I set into the top vent which also helps the draft. BTW- I don't have any extra holes drilled in my mailbox and my AMPS tray just stands on factory legs.

When you flip the Amnps over you can see the stock bottom struts form an X right in the middle of the center row which may make it more vunerable to go out right there. You can spin the tray 180 degrees every 4-5 hours with a full tray when the burn turns the corner so the pellets burn with the draft. I made sure all bottom mounting holes and rear corners are sealed except the two pencil mounting holes near the door. The elevated Amnps lighting hole is right above the left pencil hole. I drilled one for the center row and the other is at the last row. I loosely screw a bolt from under the mailbox into the last row hole unless I have a full tray and remove it when the burn gets that far then screw it into the first row hole. I didn't have to drill door holes and there is a lot of air that comes in at the bottom door hinge. It all burns to white ash.
. 20170911_132126.jpg

Since this pic I drilled a hole in the bottom for the middle row. The air from these holes below the front Amnps wall goes under and the air from the hinge goes over.
20170503_093742.jpg

You can spin the tray 180 degrees every 4-5 hours with a full tray when the burn turns the corner so the pellets burn with the draf
just watch you don't burn your fingers if you do this, the tray can get hot and you'll have a nice design of the holes from the tray on your fingers. I know this from personal experience.:emoji_nerd:

Reactions: dr k
just watch you don't burn your fingers if you do this, the tray can get hot and you'll have a nice design of the holes from the tray on your fingers. I know this from personal experience.:emoji_nerd:
Yup! Been there with low light to see and a few beers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky