Mailbox mod question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drewb0y

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
Just ordered the AMNPS and expecting delivery today. I'm planning on doing the mailbox mod as well. No that I won't have to be babysitting the wood chips and checking every hour or so, what's the best way to know if the smoke goes out for whatever reason? I saw in another post where someone used an IP camera to monitor the smoke stack output. Just wondering if there are any other options - like a smoke sensor of some sort? Or am I just overly complicating things?

Also I saw a couple of mentions of potential flareups even with the mailbox mod. What would be the cause of this and is there a good way to prevent it?

Reactions: JC in GB
Just ordered the AMNPS and expecting delivery today. I'm planning on doing the mailbox mod as well. No that I won't have to be babysitting the wood chips and checking every hour or so, what's the best way to know if the smoke goes out for whatever reason? I saw in another post where someone used an IP camera to monitor the smoke stack output. Just wondering if there are any other options - like a smoke sensor of some sort? Or am I just overly complicating things?

Also I saw a couple of mentions of potential flareups even with the mailbox mod. What would be the cause of this and is there a good way to prevent it?
Is it possible? Yes. I debated that concept with a rpi and arduino controller. I found it unnecessary. I do utilize a dimmer controlled pc fan on my enclosure/mailbox. I dump pellets straight in the tray, light both ends for at least 1 minute with a torch.
place the tray in the box and turn the fan on low. You can’t see it in the pic, but the fan is attached to the front of the box (left side in pic) I increase the speed if the air is very still or humid. I got 9 hours of smoke over the weekend.

Attachments

• E421572B-838D-430C-B157-C8B2F7F017AF.jpeg
    E421572B-838D-430C-B157-C8B2F7F017AF.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: JC in GB
I may try that fan idea, I have plenty of PC fans hanging around. So really it would only need to be pretty low CFM. With Texas heat and sometimes no breeze I can see where that would make a big difference. Thanks!

Reactions: sm0kin and JC in GB
I may try that fan idea, I have plenty of PC fans hanging around. So really it would only need to be pretty low CFM. With Texas heat and sometimes no breeze I can see where that would make a big difference. Thanks!
Yes, low cfm. I will attest, it’s definitely possible to ignite the entire tray with too much airflow.

Reactions: drewb0y
I've been using the AMNPS in a mailbox (made out of 3/4 inch plywood) for years with my MES 30, and have never had a flare up. I nuke the pellets twice for 2 minutes each, light one end, let it burn for 10 minutes, blow out the flame, and put it in the mailbox. Then I wait for the smoke to start coming out the stack. I don't use a fan, just have the mailbox set up so the air holes face into the prevailing wind.
All I do is look out the window every now and then to see if there's still a whisp of smoke coming out the stack.
Gary

Assuming you have an electric smoker, you'll know if you have smoke problems by just watching the smoke (or lack thereof) coming out the top of your electric box.

I'd suggest you start out with the mailbox down low, some level of control of the inlet air (little sliding lever?) and let natural draft be your friend. You can add forced flow (fans etc) later if you want more smoke. Personally I doubt you'll have any flare-ups if you use natural draft.

Ive been using the mailbox for a few years now and have never needed a fan when using my MES40 smoker. The heat from the smoker pulls a draft from the mailbox. Yes, the mailbox has some holes in the door and the bottom. To the OP, how and where is your mailbox connected to your smoker? Pics?

I've never had my pellets go out or flare up. I light one end with a torch and let it burn for 10 minutes. I blow on it occasionally to keep it burning hot. When you blow on it it will likely go out. If you blow hard on it it should ignite, if it doesn't hit it with the torch again. I control my airflow by blocking air holes with a magnet.

Ive been using the mailbox for a few years now and have never needed a fan when using my MES40 smoker. The heat from the smoker pulls a draft from the mailbox. Yes, the mailbox has some holes in the door and the bottom. To the OP, how and where is your mailbox connected to your smoker? Pics?
Haven't done it yet but planning on using an actual mailbox mounted beneath the smoker. I'm also going to repurpose the adjustables vent from the top to regulate airflow and putting an all vent or a stack with a cap up top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky