:Made A Little Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
So I had a coppa curing in my fridge using the UMAi bag for ten weeks that had only lost19% weight. I was just going to toss it, my good bud chopsaw chopsaw Rich said to smoke it hot and fast, nothing to lose so I gave it a shot. Setup indirect using the Vortex and a hunk of hickory.
DSCN4009.JPG

Let it go until it reached an IT of 152º and pulled
DSCN4010.JPG

The next day I setup the slicer to see what I had. I was still all set to toss it, first taste that Idea was out, smoky delicious!
DSCN4042.JPG

After grilling up a gabagool Reuben sanny I knew I was on to something, this stuff was going to make a great pizza. I made my standard simple dough:
2&1/2 cup AP flour
1 cup water
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
2 TBS olive oil
2 tsp yeast
Once the dough was made I put it into a ziploc bag in the fridge to ferment for six days, another little trick I picked up from Rich. That man really knows his stuff, if you're ever lucky enough to receive his advice, take it! On with the build, browned up some of my Italian sausage made with cabernet and garlic, my signature sausage
DSCN4043.JPG

Got the dough formed to my pizza stone
DSCN4046.JPG

Assembled the cast of character, poured a little whisky gotta, keep it real
DSCN4048.JPG

First a layer of tomato-basil sauce, I like Classico
DSCN4049.JPG

Then a layer of fresh mozzarella cheese
DSCN4050.JPG

A little salami and pepperoni, just because it was in the fridge
DSCN4051.JPG

DSCN4052.JPG

Solid layer of smoked capicola
DSCN4053.JPG

Then the Italian sausage, about a pound
DSCN4054.JPG

Finish the build with some chopped onion, red bell pepper, black olive, and shredded parm
DSCN4055.JPG

Had the pizza stone preheated in a 425º oven, 19 minutes and she's done
DSCN4056.JPG

Got to have beer or wine with pizza, I went with a glass of cab
DSCN4057.JPG

From a hunk of meat that almost made the garbage can to one of the best pies ever. The smoke flavor in that coppa really comes thru and puts it over the top, something I'll be doing again. Tip of the cap to chopsaw chopsaw , couldn't have done it without you Rich. Got some ribs to get on the Weber, this ones wrapped up. Y'all say safe out there, and thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Glad you listened to chopsaw chopsaw Ray. He's knows his stuff. That pizza is the dictionary definition of a true meat lovers pizza don't ya know. Excellent Job all the way around.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
Now that's a pizza!
Thanks Norm, it was definitely top five stuff. Thanks for the Like too, I appreciate it. RAY

Glad you listened to chopsaw chopsaw Ray. He's knows his stuff. That pizza is the dictionary definition of a true meat lovers pizza don't ya know. Excellent Job all the way around.

Point for sure
Chris
He sure does Chris! I'm still tossing around doing one on the kettle, have some reservations about smoke and dough, temp questions too. Thanks for the Like Chris, much appreciated! RAY

what a awesome looking pizza!! glad you saved the meat and that it turned out good!
Thanks tbern! At least now I know what to do with a coppa that isn't turning out, smoke it! Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it! RAY

Love the coppa, looks fantastic

But the Pizza , outstanding. I could go for a couple slices of that right there.. And I love a good pizza, so I know what I'm looking at

And ribs coming up also. I moving down your way, lol

David

Pizza heaven right there. And with that much protein on it,,,gotta use a fork. Pour me a cold beer and plate me up some of that!
Jim

That looks outstanding very nice I really like the amount of meat you used in it. It had to taste awesome

Jeez Ray, it looks fantastic but do you think maybe you could put a little more stuff on it next time?? :emoji_laughing: That takes "loaded" to a whole new level. Thing must have weighed in around 12 pounds when all was said and done...but I'd sure tear up a slice or two.

Robert

Love the coppa, looks fantastic

But the Pizza , outstanding. I could go for a couple slices of that right there.. And I love a good pizza, so I know what I'm looking at

And ribs coming up also. I moving down your way, lol

David
Thanks David! This is a great place to retire but heavy construction would have been too tough in my working days, way too hot half the year. Thanks for the Like David, I appreciate it. RAY

Pizza heaven right there. And with that much protein on it,,,gotta use a fork. Pour me a cold beer and plate me up some of that!
Jim
Thanks Jim! The decision between a glass of wine and a Rolling Rock was tough, hadn't been for the wife I just might have gone with more whisky! Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Holy smokes !! You have to sit on a phone book to eat that ? Damn that looks great Ray .
One slice would do me .
That coppa you helped me with is so good I can't stop eating on it . Just fantastic flavor .

Been so busy painting inside and building frames and mirrors in the shop I haven't fired up anything in weeks .

Great work as usual , and you do just fine without me , but thanks for the nod .

That looks outstanding very nice I really like the amount of meat you used in it. It had to taste awesome
Thanks Piney! The combo of the fermented dough and the gabagool being smoked really put it over the top for me, wife loved it too, that counts! Thanks for the like, much appreciated. RAY

Jeez Ray, it looks fantastic but do you think maybe you could put a little more stuff on it next time?? :emoji_laughing: That takes "loaded" to a whole new level. Thing must have weighed in around 12 pounds when all was said and done...but I'd sure tear up a slice or two.

Robert
:emoji_laughing: Nah, it was only about half that weight Robert! I like pizza that takes a knife and fork, it ain't finger food around here, had all I could do to make it thru what I took, was stuffed, Thanks for the Like amigo, much appreciated! RAY

Holy smokes !! You have to sit on a phone book to eat that ? Damn that looks great Ray .
One slice would do me .
That coppa you helped me with is so good I can't stop eating on it . Just fantastic flavor .

Been so busy painting inside and building frames and mirrors in the shop I haven't fired up anything in weeks .

Great work as usual , and you do just fine without me , but thanks for the nod .
Thanks Rich! Gotta give credit where credit is due, you bailed that one out for me. Fermenting the dough was a real game changer too, first time, first bite, Jan said best ever, that doesn't happen real often either. Thank you for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it! RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
That is one heck of a great Pizza, Ray!I'm originally from NJ, and consider myself a bit of a Pizza "snob", lol. And I can tell you that is perfection on a plate. I also love a Pizza that requires knife and fork. Everything that's on there is excellent. Nice work my friend and thanks for sharing. Now thisa is all I'll be thinking about today, and we cannot get anything near that quality around these parts.

That's a beautiful pie Ray! And you're right, Rich sure knows his stuff! He's probably made more pizzas than I've eaten.

Ryan

Heck yeah Ray, that's a slice of pie!! The cab would be right up my wife's ally, I'll take the beer...
Thanks Charles! I most always go with a Rolling Rock with pizza and burgers, gotta shake things up every now and then. Thanks for the Like, much appreciated, give Lucy a tummy rub for me! RAY

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky