Mac-N-Cheese supper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well I had a nothing planned for supper the other day. So I searched the fridge and pantry for some grub that we had on hand. Low and behold I found the fixings for some mac-n-cheese. I'm putting this in the side items forum, because it's normally - well a side. This ones is juiced up a bit to make it more of a supper. Enough jibber-jabbering. Lets get to the eats.

Starting out with some cheddar and Gouda:

DSC04343.JPG

Freshly shredded:
DSC04346.JPG

Bacon and Kielbasa:

DSC04347.JPG

After the bacon is cooked the Kielbasa goes in:

DSC04348.JPG

All cooked up and waiting their turn:

DSC04353.JPG

Roux is made with equal parts butter and flour. One pint of heavy cream, and a cup of whole milk. The milk is added slowly and if more is needed then add more.
Slowly add and stir in the grated cheese:

DSC04360.JPG

Next stir in the al dente mini-shells:

DSC04362.JPG

Now add the bacon crumbles and kielbasa:

DSC04363.JPG

Slowly stir to combine. Hint: I also added some of the bacon juice for some extra flavor:

DSC04368.JPG

Spread into an appropriately sized casserole dish and bake at 350* until cheese is bubbling and turning a golden brown:
DSC04375.JPG

Money shot:
DSC04376.JPG

Thanks for taking a look

Chris

Attachments

• DSC04370.JPG
    DSC04370.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 7
Nice Chris, nothing wrong with making a meal or two out of that. I have made similar and topped with panko or bread crumbs before going into the oven. Never did the kielbasa though, that sounds good!

Reactions: gmc2003
Dang Chris! That is my kind of mac-n-cheese.
Nice!
Thanks SHS. This is an evolution of what my mother used to make when I was growing up. It's been tweaked here and there, but the basic's are the same.

Nice Chris, nothing wrong with making a meal or two out of that. I have made similar and topped with panko or bread crumbs before going into the oven. Never did the kielbasa though, that sounds good!

Appreciate it Cliff. If it was just me eating it then I would have used bread crumbs/panko on the top, but since the wife doesn't like it that way. You know the rest of the story.

Chris

Reactions: clifish
great looking mac and cheese!! thanks for sharing your recipe!
Thank you very much Bern, and your welcome.

Chris

Oh man that is some good-looking bacon sausage mac! I can even see it on a pizza crust vs the Pyrex pan!

What? You actually cook inside? And in the kitchen? Is there a weber kettle in the kitchen? I need all my questions answered ASAP. If not, I know some people on the dark web who are water department employees at various locations throughout the United States.

Mac n cheese is one of my favorites. Yours looks delicious!

Gee Chris, that just about had me on the way to Freezermart to liberate my last bag of bacon trimmings before I remembered using them in some beans last week. Nice work, looks de-lish! RAY

You killed that Chris. If we weren’t friends before, we would be now, or at least I’d be begging for a plate. That is an absolutely fantastic meal Sir.

Oh man that is some good-looking bacon sausage mac! I can even see it on a pizza crust vs the Pyrex pan!
Thanks Civil, I was thinking rolled up in a nice fatty, but now you got me thinking.

Very nice
Must be the season. I smoked a batch on Sunday myself. Mine is planned for lunches in the tractor

Appreciate it Fueling, it is getting colder around here. We had our first heavy frost the other morning, and the leaves are a changing. Time to revisit the winter comfort foods.

Chris

What? You actually cook inside? And in the kitchen? Is there a weber kettle in the kitchen? I need all my questions answered ASAP. If not, I know some people on the dark web who are water department employees at various locations throughout the United States.

Mac n cheese is one of my favorites. Yours looks delicious!

Thank you Justin and here ya go:
1. You cook inside - Yes on occasion, but the wife has to show me how to turn on the oven.
2. and in the kitchen - Again Yes, but I have to do the dishes after.
3. Is there a Weber kettle in the kitchen - No but I do have a micro-wave

As far as the water department people go. We have well water so you would need people in the electric department to help you out.

Gee Chris, that just about had me on the way to Freezermart to liberate my last bag of bacon trimmings before I remembered using them in some beans last week. Nice work, looks de-lish! RAY
Appreciate it Ray, Sounds like it's time to make more bacon. We use salt pork for bacon here. It was my grandma's recipe.

Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
No smoke? G-r-r-r. 😜
Thanks Bob, smoking it would have brought it up another notch, but it wasn't in the cards the day I made it.
You killed that Chris. If we weren’t friends before, we would be now, or at least I’d be begging for a plate. That is an absolutely fantastic meal Sir.
Appreciate it Edge. Anytime your in the northeast give me a jingle.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Too bad you didn't have any of that good Wisconsin cheese on hand. HAH!
Looks great, belly full of happy.

You better answer Justin before the " meter readers" start pokin' around.

Appreciate it Moto.
Ha, Normally I would have used Cabot cheese, but I got these from work in a thank you basket. Justin's buddies!!! They're friends of Justin's can they even read.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: motocrash
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky