Mac and Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jts70

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 12, 2007
Mayville, Mi
My wife found this recipe and had me make, it is a great dish, we have had it several times. The only thing I'll be doing different now is smoking the cheese first , I just have to feed my addiction!! I hope you enjoy! Oh yes the credit part : Food Network> Barefoot Contessa> episode IG0605

Kosher salt
Vegetable oil
1 pound elbow macaroni or cavatappi
1 quart milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
12 ounces Gruyere, grated (4 cups)
8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 pound fresh tomatoes (4 small)
1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.

Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.

Sounds good! I always make a rue for my mac & cheese. I grew up with shredded or chunked cheddar thrown in with the noodles and add milk. While I thought that was good at 8, at 38 it doesn't come close to pleasing the palate. I usually add a bit of smoked gouda for a nice little smokey flavor. Oh, I also don't use bread crumbs, I sprinkle more shredded cheddar on top so the cheese gets crunchy...That's the best part. I put mine in a cake pan so there's more crunchy cheese topping. You can also do large muffin cups for indiv portions!

The muffin cup is a great idea! Tasty little snack any time

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky