Lyme disease

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I humbly disagree,here in the northeast the blacklegged tick (aka deer tick) is so common.If you find one on you and its embedded its already in most cases to late,you will more than likely have contracted lyme,waiting for the tell-tale signs of a "bad" tick bite is just plain foolish and just plain bad advice.After finding an embedded tick I was diagnosed less than three days later.These things are so small you will never find it in your scalp,genital area or back until its to late.

Exactly!!
It used to be really bad when you got it, and they used to say "You'll always have it---It never really goes away".
However they got it nailed now, they tell me----Easy to get rid of & when it's gone, it's gone.

We still have some that aren't deer ticks, and don't carry Lyme, because I usually take them out when I get one, and last year Bear Jr had to go to the Doc for one of his, because it was inside his Belly Button!!!
So far neither of us had Lyme---Knock on Wood.

Bear

Norm glad to see you moving in the right direction . Hang in there . Please keep us posted .

First day back at work,made it 7hrs and was done and I my mean done.All I was doing was brushing final trim-coat...couldn't possibly be any easier for what I do and I was wiped out.

Its a start.
I feel for you. Happy to hear you are mending. Be patient.
Even the teenage Scouts that got it and didn't catch it fast were wiped for many days after starting treatment.
Another Leader got it diagnosed when checked ... for his ringworm (also contracted at Scout Camp) and had a long recovery.

Exactly!!
It used to be really bad when you got it, and they used to say "You'll always have it---It never really goes away".
However they got it nailed now, they tell me----Easy to get rid of & when it's gone, it's gone.

We still have some that aren't deer ticks, and don't carry Lyme, because I usually take them out when I get one, and last year Bear Jr had to go to the Doc for one of his, because it was inside his Belly Button!!!
So far neither of us had Lyme---Knock on Wood.

Like almost everything else early detection is the key.If you find a deer tick embedded don't wait for the "signs"...go get it checked.

Now that I'm finally getting an appetite again I'm thinking something simple and quick on the smoker this weekend.Pork tenderloin doesn't sound to bad!

Reactions: smokerjim
Like almost everything else early detection is the key.If you find a deer tick embedded don't wait for the "signs"...go get it checked.

Now that I'm finally getting an appetite again I'm thinking something simple and quick on the smoker this weekend.Pork tenderloin doesn't sound to bad!

Sounds like an excellent Choice!!

Bear

Always a good choice. Hope it fills the corner

Got a co-worker on the farm going through chemo.
He has a few days after getting the bi-weekly treatment where his appetite goes away.
I helped him discover that chocolate covered cake donuts fill the void.

I got diagnosed last year. Pulled 100's of ticks off me through the years, got one latched onto my tricep last summer that left the bullseye on me. Then the rash spread to my armpit and down my side.

Felt like total shit for 2 days. Went to the doctor, she prescribed me some Doxycycline for 21 days.

Honestly after the first pill I felt better in a few hours.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Crappy disease, but without a real target rash, you don’t have it. I took over a hundred gallbladders out of teenagers in the 90’s that were full of Ceftriaxone stones left by ID charlatans who didn’t bother to make an accurate diagnosis...

Crappy disease, but without a real target rash, you don’t have it. ...
Bull on the target rash.
Some have it, some do not.

I noticed the target rash is age dependent.
The teenagers did not show the rash. They were diagnosed by the other symptoms such as flu like body aches, lethargy, and loss of appetite (when does a teenager loose their appetite?).
The adults are 100% bulls eye rash.
My personal experience with many confirmed cases.

I know its an old thread but it's that time of year...actually here in RI its been that time of year straight thru the Winter.Plus up here we also have EEE and West Nile from the skeeters.

We use Permethrin on our clothing and Picaridin on our skin when its exposed,DEET and I don't get along and Picaridin works great.

Anybody who spends anytime outdoors can get Lyme,especially those of us that hunt and fish.

Reactions: Marknmd
I had it. Maybe 15 years ago? Bite was on my left calf. Target bruise. Made my joints ache, especially my left leg and hip joints. I don't remember the name of the medication they gave me, but it made my skin super senstive to the sun which meant I had to wear long sleeve shirts, long pants, and big brimmed hats everywhere outside. It was pretty horrible. The cure was almost as bad as the disease. Haven't had it since.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky