Lump charcoal in Maine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snakepilot

Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Maine
Hi I'm a newbie to SMF and NEMG.

My question is where you do get a good lump charcoal in Maine?

I live in the Augusta/Waterville area and all I can find is Cowboy.

Its my understanding that it is now made in Mexico and the quality is 

really bad. I found the rating from " Naked Whiz".  It has a rating down to 74 or so with 

a not so good a review.

Thanks in advance

David

I usually can get Royal Oak lump at WalMart, but the Bangor store is out. I was in Portland 6 weeks ago and the So. Portland WalMart had plenty. I just bought a bag of Cowboy. I have yet to try it, but I may mix some in with the briquettes when I grill chicken on Sunday just to see what it's like.

You might try McVety's Hearth and Home, they carry Big Green Eggs and may also sell lump.

Let me know if the local WalMart has any Royal Oak left, Augusta is close enough for a road trip.

Last edited:
So I used Cowboy for the first time ever yesterday to grill some turkey burgers for lunch. When I opened the bag there were 3 of the biggest pieces of charcoal that I have ever seen, the biggest was a log about 12" long by 4" diameter. I whacked them all and they all split to reveal that they were indeed charcoal all the way through and not just the outside, with uncharred wood inside. I did the whacking with another good sized piece from the bag that was obviously mostly uncharred wood, it did not break like the others when doing the striking. My other observations pretty much follow the Naked Whiz review, started quickly, burned hot and did not last as long as RO. I'll keep using it until I can find RO again locally.

Cliff, I've checked Walmart and Home Depot in Waterville, also WM, HD, and Lowe's in Augusta.

Nothing in the way of lump charcoal.

I also checked Agway nothing.

Trying to find a place online that will ship at a reasonable price. No luck yet.

Dave

(SnakePilot) 

Cliff, I've checked Walmart and Home Depot in Waterville, also WM, HD, and Lowe's in Augusta.

Nothing in the way of lump charcoal.

I also checked Agway nothing.

Trying to find a place online that will ship at a reasonable price. No luck yet.

Dave

(SnakePilot) 
SnakePilot, I would try Walmart again. According to their website they have it in stock in the Waterville store. Maybe they have it in a hard to find spot? 

Thanks

I'll check tomorrow when I go to town. I'll let you know what I find.

Dave

Hello 

Went to Waterville Wal-Mart yesterday.  Talked to the Dept. Mgr. they do not have any RO Lump. They only have a few bags of "Best of the West" and some other briquettes.

Not much of any thing, one small pallet 2 or 3 bags high with 4 different types of charcoal on it. 

I know the Dept. Mgr. I worked for her in Lawn @ Garden a couple of years ago.

Dave

Hello

Went to Waterville Wal-Mart yesterday.  Talked to the Dept. Mgr. they do not have any RO Lump. They only have a few bags of "Best of the West" and some other briquettes.

Not much of any thing, one small pallet 2 or 3 bags high with 4 different types of charcoal on it.

I know the Dept. Mgr. I worked for her in Lawn @ Garden a couple of years ago.

Dave
You can order it for delivery site to store.

Talk to your friend and see if they won't order a pallet, I'd make the drive to Waterville to pick up a few bags.

FWIW the Bangor Lowes seems to have plenty of Cowboy lump.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky