Lumber Jack Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shady

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Knoxville TN
Been reading some good stuff and given price ($8 for 20#) I’m picking up 8 bags of Lumber Jack Pellets today. Unfortunately my local store doesn’t carry their full line up so I’m limited in choices.

If anyone else is using them how do you get them? I wouldn’t be opposed to buying a pallet if I was able to mix and match (granted they work well in SmokeFire).

Been reading some good stuff and given price ($8 for 20#) I’m picking up 8 bags of Lumber Jack Pellets today. Unfortunately my local store doesn’t carry their full line up so I’m limited in choices.

If anyone else is using them how do you get them? I wouldn’t be opposed to buying a pallet if I was able to mix and match (granted they work well in SmokeFire).
I buy them from a local family selling them out of their home at $10/20lbs out the door. I'm not a BBQ fanatic, so I only use one flavor - Competition Blend (Maple/Hickory/Cherry). Local store prices are at $12 & up (plus tax) for the same thing. If you can get them at $8 per bag, you're golden.

I get mine at Rural King as well. They do have a limited variety in stock. The flavors they don’t carry I use BBQ Delight brand that I get from my local outdoor furniture store.

I would love to try their Italian Spice, Mexican Heat and Paris Bordeaux but I’m not paying the $30-$40 per 20# bag that I saw on Amazon.

I get my LJ fix at rural king also, I am going to hunt a manager down and see about getting more of the full line into the store, also ck out the Suckle Buster rubs they sell there, have used several and they are great. the 1836 is great on anything beef, chicken cluckers is another .

I am going to hunt a manager down and see about getting more of the full line into the store

I thought about doing that but since my purchase would be strictly out of curiosity and even if they turned out great they would still be a very seldom used pellet for me. Would hate for them to bring in stock that wouldn’t sell.

By all means though keep me updated, if they are able to bring in more flavors in small enough quantities I’ll definitely hit my store up about it.

dubob dubob

Re: Lumber Jack availability.

Dicks Sporting Goods sells Lumber Jack pellets, in-store, and shipped. I got some Competition Blend at a local store this week, and they also had Oak, and I think they had one of the Char versions. At Dicks it was $14.99/20lb. They have more varieties available via shipping.

Rural King also ships as well, but I don't know their shipping charges as they currently can't/don't ship to California. The support person I talked on the phone with at RK seemed to be saying that their (RK's) "...shipping labels need to be updated..." to comply w/CA shipping requirements. Something like that. He said they get a LOT of calls from potential CA customers but at this point no-go. Seems like a simple change, no idea why they (RK) are leaving money on the table.

A local BBQ store also sells Weber pellets, which they say are OEM Lumber Jack pellets. Does anyone know if that is correct? They were selling them for $20/20lb.

I get them from bbqpelletsonline.com. They will help you get a group buy together with others in your area - you need to commit to 520lbs. Price to TN is $7.60/20lbs. There's currently a group buy in Chattanooga.

I get mine from rural king as well. The nearest one from me is 1hr away and I occasionally work over there, so it’s easy for me to get. They carry the flavors I use the most.

I have heard Dicks will price match and ship for free, but not sure if it has to be a local store in close proximity? May try to see about this next time.

Have thought about going in on a group buy, just haven’t had the need to yet.

Ryan... Go into Lumber Jack's group buy page. They will alert you when other people relatively close to you want to buy. Also ask any other people you know who smoke. They will sell and ship in bulk, I'm talking in tons. Get a bulk buy with them and it's dirt cheap for the best pellets on earth. (In my opinion and I'm no pro).

Reactions: Steff3
Ryan... Go into Lumber Jack's group buy page. They will alert you when other people relatively close to you want to buy. Also ask any other people you know who smoke. They will sell and ship in bulk, I'm talking in tons. Get a bulk buy with them and it's dirt cheap for the best pellets on earth. (In my opinion and I'm no pro).

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily they have a terminal location in my city. Just got over 200# from Rural King yesterday so I’ll see how they do in the SmokeFire and go from there.

Got a link?

Reactions: Archnemysis
Shady Shady bigfurmn bigfurmn bregent bregent

Can you clarify the meaning of the info below on the group buy page?
  • "One person needed" - Does that mean one person who wants one 20lb bag of any pellet? Not sure how you can tell how much more, and of what, needs to be purchased if someone wants to join a group buy. Do the "One person needed" buys have some quantity of a particulary pellet type "left over" that someone needs to accept to complete that buy?
Thanks for any clarfication. The Group Buy FAQ link is broken, so no joy there:

1594591766713.png

Ah ha! I found an alternate FAQ link...but no info on the "One person needed" category.
https://bbqpelletsonline.com/index.php/2016-02-28-20-40-43/group-buy-faqs

Special "One Person Needed" Group Buy listing 07/07/2020
We are needing a few more people to make these successful Group Buys!
Please be sure to review our revised Group Buy FAQs and Procedures.
BBQPelletsOnline.com - Lumber Jack 1/4-ton Group Buys(13 40#/26 20#)

*AZ-Phoenix-$206.04 Picked Up-$15.85/40# bag($8.22/20# bag)
*CA-Los Angeles-$205 Picked Up-$15.77/40# bag ($8.18/20# bag)
*CA-Mira Loma-$206.30 Picked Up-$15.87/40# bag($8.23/20# bag)
*CA-San Marcos-$212.28 Picked Up-$16.33/40# bag($8.46/20# bag)
*DE-Wilmington-$183.94 Picked Up-$14.15/40# bag($7.37/20# bag)
*KS-Kansas City-*PM or Call for Pricing*
*SC-Duncan-$193.82 Picked Up-$14.91/40# bag($7.75/20# bag)

Last edited:
Shady Shady bigfurmn bigfurmn bregent bregent

Can you clarify the meaning of the info below on the group buy page?
  • "One person needed" - Does that mean one person who wants one 20lb bag of any pellet?
I am not sure but seems like you fill out the form and they pair you up with the contact for that group but and they will say how much is left. Looks like they typically like people to commit to at least 1/4 ton to start a group buy but it does say you can buy as many bags as you like. That tells me they might sometimes have pallets that don’t require you to purchase the typical 1/4

I am not sure but seems like you fill out the form and they pair you up with the contact for that group but and they will say how much is left. Looks like they typically like people to commit to at least 1/4 ton to start a group buy but it does say you can buy as many bags as you like. That tells me they might sometimes have pallets that don’t require you to purchase the typical 1/4
Thanks...I filled out the form, which unfortunately does not have a way to say you're interested in an existing "one person needed" group buy, but I put that in the "notes" field.

I only want two bags. Since I use a MES I will be seriously oversupplied w/those two on top of the one bag I already have, but I may be able to give some of them to one of my neighbors. Plus at about $8 a bag I guess I can put up w/having too many pellets around...

"One person needed" means they have a group buy in progress with 3 people committed to 1/4 ton each and they just need one more to fill out the order. If you've got a MES, you probably are not interested in group buys - they are intended for folks with pellet smokers.

Reactions: Danabw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky