Lox a la Al!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
For a number of years now I've been making a batch of lox annually according to the explicit directions of SmokinAl SmokinAl . Where I live in AZ the weather will allow for cold smoking 4-5 months out of the year, and even then it's best to get it done in the early morning, it can get hot here just about anytime. Here's the link to Al's original post, gives everything you need to know to make the best lox on the planet, nothing compares.

In the past I'd use my SQ36 offset, lox in the CC and Amaze-N tube in the fire box, that got sold last year. I have everything on hand so following direction as I always do. I had five pounds of salmon fillets, cured and ready to go in three days

DSCN0040.JPG

DSCN0041.JPG

DSCN0042.JPG

I started out thinking my Pro 100 smoker would do just fine. Up at 3am and out on the 36º patio everything was setup for success.
DSCN1176.JPG

Until it wasn't. The Pro 100 is so well insulated that the inside temp of it was 92º even with a bucket of ice inside and the Amaze-N pellet tube blocked off on the bottom, lox on top shelf. I cut bait and pulled the fillets off and back into the fridge overnight. After consulting with my buddy Stu, aka SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker , I setup my 26" Weber kettle ready for the next morning. I filled the Amaze-N tube halfway up with apple pellets, laid it flat to spread them out and lit up, set centered on the very bottom of the Weber. Put a frozen water bottle on the bottom grill each side of the tube, a salmon fillet over the water bottles on the top grill.

DSCN4422.JPG

Victory was mine! Four hours of perfect smoke at 62º, all I ever hoped for, as good as the offset.

DSCN0052.JPG

Out of the fridge this morning to slice and sample, after a short run for fresh bagels and cream cheese

DSCN4419.JPG

I like mine loaded, no onion today

DSCN4420.JPG

If you're one who likes lox on a bagel, SmokinAl SmokinAl 's is as good as it gets, my wife is a professional Loxologist, she'd know! The added bonus of the morning was that the fresh bagels were tough to cut, probably from me dulling the blade to cut into onions. A new Wusthof bread knife will be here tomorrow to match my collection! Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe out there. RAY

Nice looking lox Ray!
Thanks Steve! I've got a Einstein's Bagel shop a quarter mile from my house and this stuff freezes well, make the occasional treat for Jan easy, and she loves the stuff. Thanks for the Like Steve, appreciate it, RAY

Not something I know anything about , but it sure looks good . Nice work bud .
It's not something you find available everywhere Rich, just because a place has bagels doesn't mean they'll have lox. The bagel place down the road from me can't sell lox, health department. One's no good without the other, helps a man get in touch with his inner Hebrew. Thanks for the Like bud, much appreciated! RAY

Very nice Ray, that looks phenomenal! I need to make some of this!
Thanks Justin. I made this before with Kokanee salmon caught at Flaming Gorge, WY, annual trip every summer. If there's a lake with Kokes near you Al's recipes will work great with those also, Thanks for the Like Justin, I do appreciate it! RAY

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Thanks Justin. I made this before with Kokanee salmon caught at Flaming Gorge, WY, annual trip every summer. If there's a lake with Kokes near you Al's recipes will work great with those also, Thanks for the Like Justin, I do appreciate it! RAY

Gonna look into that for sure… we generally stick with trout… I guess due to convenience cause it’s a mile down to the river.

Let me know on your annual trip, would be nice if we could get together for lunch or dinner on your travels!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Gonna look into that for sure… we generally stick with trout… I guess due to convenience cause it’s a mile down to the river.

Let me know on your annual trip, would be nice if we could get together for lunch or dinner on your travels!
I sold my lake boat last summer Justin, it's just too far for me to drive now. Then when I get there its setup camp and the boat. Both my hips got replaced in 2015, my back is shot, they want to replace both my shoulders, all a product of working and playing hard. If I was a horse they'd shoot me! You ever get down my way in the summer I'd be thrilled to host you for a Q, barely pops, and some pool time. Never know when you'll run into this tho! RAY

DSCN2076.JPG

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I sold my lake boat last summer Justin, it's just too far for me to drive now. Then when I get there its setup camp and the boat. Both my hips got replaced in 2015, my back is shot, they want to replace both my shoulders, all a product of working and playing hard. If I was a horse they'd shoot me! You ever get down my way in the summer I'd be thrilled to host you for a Q, barely pops, and some pool time. Never know when you'll run into this tho! RAY

View attachment 658165

I’d sure like that Ray… will definitely keep that in mind! Would be an honor my friend…

That is a little too toasty for this ol redneck…. 😂

Congrats on a well deserved ride! 🍻

Wow Ray that sure beats the cream cheese/peanut butter combo I had on my store bought bagel this morning. I really need to make another batch of lox and soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris, all credit really goes to Al, his recipe is darned near foolproof! Heck, where you live producing a batch can be done year round in a 26"er, won't even need the frozen water bottles. Thanks for the Like Chris, I appreciate it! RAY

Reactions: gmc2003
Absolutely beautiful Ray!! That is some terrific looking stuff that I'd love to do but sadly Tracy can't do fish so that kinda rules it out for me. Congrats on the ride my friend!!

Robert

Looks fantastic Ray! It’s been a long long time since I’ve had lox. Way back when I was young I spent some time in Hallendale FL. There was a nice deli across from the Gulfstream Racetrack that had the best. Loved that place. Also had killer liver pâté and pickled tongue.

Awesome looking lox Ray!
Just made a batch myself, it’s a once a year thing here too!
Al
Thanks Al! I fished the Pacific for 40 years in my own boat. If I'd have had this recipe back then I might have quit work and gone into the lox making business. Started out smoking salmon on a Little Chief, then a big one, gave shopping bags of fresh pink away. The ocean is the only thing I miss about CA. Thanks for the Like Al, much appreciated! RAY

Absolutely beautiful Ray!! That is some terrific looking stuff that I'd love to do but sadly Tracy can't do fish so that kinda rules it out for me. Congrats on the ride my friend!! Robert
Thanks Robert! Lox is a lot like sushi in some aspects, folks either love it or hate it. The highlight of today will be the arrival of my new Wusthof bagel slicer from Amazon! Thanks for the like amigo, appreciate it! RAY

Looks fantastic Ray! It’s been a long long time since I’ve had lox. Way back when I was young I spent some time in Hallendale FL. There was a nice deli across from the Gulfstream Racetrack that had the best. Loved that place. Also had killer liver pâté and pickled tongue.
Thanks Jeff! I'm thinking lox may be a bit more prevalent near the coast as opposed to middle America, that's where the fish come from after all. I don't do liver in any manner, shape, or form. Yesterday happened to be my lifelong hunting partners birthday, he emailed to tell me he went out for a liverwurst sandwich. He knows I couldn't stand to see him even take a bite of that stuff, ick!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky