Low yield incubating chicken eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Anyone with experience hatching chicken eggs? We have tried 3 years now. This year is our lowest yield yet. Only 9 of 42 eggs hatched! But even our best try yielded less than 50%.
We use a little giant still air styrofoam box style with automatic egg turner. Eggs from our chickens less than a week old, kept at about 60 F until setting and turned one a day. Candled at 10 days, only 2 hadn't developed. 2 hatched on day 22, 7 more on day 23.

We are going to try another batch. This time I'm going to leave one egg out and put a thermometer/hydrometer in that spot.
I found they sell a fan, but it's $40! I'm thinking about tapping a computer fan in there, thinking more even temps might help?

Any advice?

Looks like 2 hatched overnight, but 2 in the brooder aren't going to make it. That's the other thing, the chicks we hatch are always really weak to start out. We lose a bunch in the first few days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky