Low and slow Tri tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremy5431

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
so, I “kinda” smoked the Tri tip. Here was the plan - use a combination of techniques from Aaron Franklin and Adam Perry Lang

Arron Franklin
  • Salted the Tri Tip 48 hours before cook
  • Low and slow reverse sear cooking method
Adam Perry Lang
  • Continuous basting
  • Board dressing
I used a combination on kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and paprika. Scored the meat to increase surface area before seasoning. After I used my food saver to vacuum seal the steak for 48 hours

Meanwhile I made my chop sauce. It’s basically a butter baste and let that come together for the same time

When it came time for the cook, I got my fire around 200 and put a chunk of oak in the grill so it would gently smoke a bit.

Here’s how the cook progressed
On - 3:30 - 48.5 degrees
4:00 - 70.5
4:30- 100
5:00 - 115
Basting at each interval.

I let it rest from 5:00 to 6:45. I made s board dressing of fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil. When I pulled the steak, I let it rest on the board dressing. The theory is that as the meat is contracting the juices, it will also pull flavor from the dressing into the meat.

I had the direct zone nice and hot then seared it to finish, basting each time I flipped it.

The finished product?

• Juicy all the way though
  • Tender
  • Pink middle with a good bark
  • Next time I’ll cook it until it reaches 120 then pull it to rest
4BDFD5BB-B526-4524-BB1F-7824082AE6D0.jpeg
FE9B4BEC-1768-46CF-A97F-9E9A6E9F5A8B.jpeg

D02AC5C7-CB85-41F0-A486-59037AF31100.jpeg

F7193C88-2F87-4C73-BA30-50E917841389.jpeg
8EA64D8E-15AC-46A5-8576-FCE1A6E51D2A.jpeg

I then served it with au gratin potatoes and green bean with tomatoes, onion and bacon.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003 and xray
I would say the dressing as worth it. I have all the herbs in the garden.

I meant to say surface area. I scored it so I could get the rub and the baste flavors deeper into the meat.

I also think it helped with the formation of a solid crust during the sear.

That looks awesome! Great looking steak, gotta love tri tip.

The board dressing sounds cool. I have never made one. I heard that they cut the steak without resting and the spilled juices combine with the dressing to make a “sauce” that you run the sliced steak through.

I like using chimichurri for beef.

Nice work on that TT. It looks really good.

Point for sure
Chris

The board dressing sounds cool. I have never made one. I heard that they cut the steak without resting and the spilled juices combine with the dressing to make a “sauce” that you run the sliced steak through.

In Adam Perry Lang’s book he does let it rest without slicing, but then when he does slice it, he runs the meat though the juice and dressing for one final bit of flavor.

I dismissed the technique, but this spring I reread his book and started understanding what he is trying to do.

I’ll see if I can get a pic of the part of his book that talks about board dressing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky