Louisiana Shrimp and Corn Bisque

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Well...I love this time of year because I love hearty Soups, Bisques, and Gumbos! Another cold front rolling through so perfect for it! I had some sweet corn on the cob given to me by my buddy this summer when he came down fishing. Had intentions to put them on the grill with a steak one night, but never got around to it. So....I had a craving for Shrimp and Corn Bisque tonight so that's what I made!

There are two basic types of Shrimp and Corn soups in Louisiana...one that is tomato based with no cream, and another that is thicker, just a touch of tomato, and cream based. I prefer the Cream based one and if ordering in a restaurant, be sure to ask.

Here is a South Louisiana Secret ingredient....dried shrimp powder.
IMG_20221025_155627.jpg

Kicks the shrimp flavor into overdrive! You can even use chicken stock with two packs of these and I swear no one will know!

Sorry, no pics. as I went along this time...but here is the plate with a spoon full of sherry wine to sweeten it up. It compliments the corn and the shrimp perfectly!
IMG_20221025_173443.jpg

Looks good and hearty, Its getting to be that time of year when soups, bisques, and chowders start working they're way in the rotation.

Point for sure
Chris

I’m with you! Hearty soup season is my favorite too! That looks incredible, definately a must do on the next rainy day!!!

I’m with you on the soups, stews and chowder wagon this time of year. That looks and sounds delicious. I’m going to have to order shrimp powder, great tip! Thanks for sharing.

Me, too, but my wife is just the opposite. Looks great, Keith and definitely touches the right taste buds for me!!
Tomato; To-Mato!! LOL!! Yin and Yang!!!!
Thanks gonnaSmoke...
Looks good and hearty, Its getting to be that time of year when soups, bisques, and chowders start working they're way in the rotation.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank Chris! Yep, gonna be cold tonight in S. Louisiana....48*F. Perfect night to roll some smoke to the Napolitana Salami!
Looks nice and rich and delicious!!
Thanks tbern....that it is on both counts!

I’m with you! Hearty soup season is my favorite too! That looks incredible, definately a must do on the next rainy day!!!
Yep. I love this soup!

I’m with you on the soups, stews and chowder wagon this time of year. That looks and sounds delicious. I’m going to have to order shrimp powder, great tip! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks jcam...shrimp powder is a soup changer!

Looks and sounds mighty tasty.
Are there whole shrimp in there with the corn too?
Thanks chile! Yeah, there are shrimp....3 pounds of 51-70 count which is traditional in bayou country for shrimp and corn soup. The Sherry on top though-that just elevates the entire soup!

Reactions: chilerelleno
Damn IS, that bisque looks, and sounds, great. I could go for a bowl of it right now.

Using 3 lbs. of shrimp, what's the total finished volume? Also, would you mind sharing your recipe?

Finished volume is 3 gallons. I'll gladly share the recipe....I'll type it out later.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I've got a brunch for around a dozen people coming up in a couple weeks, and the bisque sounds like a perfect item to serve. In anticipation, I just ordered a 8 oz. bag of Pop's powder.

Reactions: indaswamp
Some fine looking bisque, Inda! Soup/stew season is already underway here, my favorite time of the year.

Louisiana Shrimp and Corn Bisque

Makes 3 gallons of soup- serves 20-24 bowls (2 cup portions)

3# peeled 51-70ct. Louisiana Gulf shrimp
1# unsalted butter
3 Quarts Shellfish stock, Shrimp stock or in a pinch chicken stock will do.
2 pks. Pop's Golden Gems ground shrimp powder
8-10 fresh ears super sweet corn
3 lg. white onions medium dice
2 lg. bell peppers medium dice
6-8 celery stalks small dice
(you want the same amount of celery here as bell pepper. And each should be about half the onion volume)
2 pods garlic peeled and run through a food processor to mince
1 large creole tomato small-medium dice
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Quart heavy cream
2 TBSP. tabasco hot sauce
1 TBSP. Zatarain's crab boil (get the one with lemon)
(if you can't find the one with Lemon, then juice of 1/2-1 lemon in the soup. You will have to taste and adjust. I like Zatarains with lemon because it has lemon oil in it.)

1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/4-1/2 cup dry sherry wine
1/2 cup minced parsley

salt, pepper to taste or Creole seasoning

Directions:
First-shuck the corn. slice corn kernels off cob with a knife. scrape the cob with back of knife to release the milk. Put corn in a SS bowl and coarse chop cob...repeat with all corn cobs. Put cobs into a pot with 1qt. water and bring to a boil then low simmer while you start the soup.

The Soup
In a 2 gallon pot, heat seafood stock to low simmer.
In a 4 gallon deep stock pot, melt butter. Add onion with a touch of salt, saute until translucent. Add celery, cook 2-3 minutes then add bell pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes then add corn. simmer 5 minutes stirring often. Add tomato and garlic - cook another 2-3 minutes. Add flour and make a white roux... stir in real good with a whisk. Switch to a wooden roux spoon and keep roux from sticking to bottom of pot. Cook in roux 3-4 minutes. Now Slowly add the hot shellfish stock couple ladles at a time...stir into roux and keep adding until all is incorporated. Add the ground shrimp powder. Reduce heat to simmer. By this time the cobs should have released all the sugars and the remaining corn milk. Remove from heat and remove cob with tongs. Pour corn stock into soup. Stir in good. Bring heat to med.-high and bring to a boil to cook in roux. stir often so roux does not stick. Do not burn the bottom of the pot. If it is sticking too much the lower the heat. Bring temp. up slowly. Once thickened and slightly simmering, add Heavy cream and simmer 2-3 minutes. Then add Tabasco, crab boil, thyme, and oregano. Now add the shrimp and cook 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning, then add parsley and sherry wine. Cook in for one minute and it is ready to serve.

Serve with 1/2TBSP. Sherry wine on top in each bowl for a real taste of New Orleans! This is a RICH soup!

Last edited:
You want the bisque thick enough so that the ingredients stay incorporated and don't just sink to the bottom of the pot...adjust flour if needed. It'll be really thick at first, but the shrimp will release a lot of water to thin it out a little..

Some fine looking bisque, Inda! Soup/stew season is already underway here, my favorite time of the year.
Thanks xray!

That sherry is the difference maker in She Crab soup too!
Yep! Only problem is she crabs are restricted here in Louisiana now....gotta let them go-can't keep them. Crabs are way down so they are trying to get the stock back up.
Oh my God that looks good!! I'll take a bucket full please :emoji_wink: Beautiful bowl of soup Keith.

Robert
Thaks Robert! I got a bucket in the fridge....but the soup probably won't mail very well.....be about like a soup sandwich! HA!
indaswamp indaswamp what a great recipe. I'm gonna try it. Did not know corn shrimp bisque was a thing.
Thanks Dave. Yep, Shrimp and corn soup is a big deal here. And this time of year, crab and pumpkin soup is huge too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky