Looking for the ultimate smoked sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vikkip

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
SE Michigan
Nothing goes better with brisket and beans than a lovely grilled smoked sausage. I can just taste it now...it's like a Polish sausage but with less marjoram than most, a nice balance of garlic and salt, and definitely made of pork. I've had a few of these down in San Benito TX that perfectly meshed with my taste buds, but even after several tries, I just haven't hit the flavor profile. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a nice, juicy, smoked sausage that grills up tasty and moist?

I'm also looking for an awesome beef summer sausage recipe.

Thanks and be safe.

Should I assume you're making the sausage yourself? If so, I have a couple that I can share with you. Take a look at this thread and let me know. We can follow up from there. I have a tonf of really good recipes and spice mixes.

This can be made fresh and grilled. It is an outstanding sausage!! Fair warning though, it's a long thread.

Robert

Should I assume you're making the sausage yourself? If so, I have a couple that I can share with you. Take a look at this thread and let me know. We can follow up from there. I have a tonf of really good recipes and spice mixes.

This can be made fresh and grilled. It is an outstanding sausage!! Fair warning though, it's a long thread.

Robert

I most definitely am making my own sausage. I have a hog in the freezer and what's not bacon, ham, ribs, or chops is destined to be smoked sausage. I went through this last night as a refresher...I'm not a sausage rookie, nor am I an expert. I am looking for the spice mix and fat content for a specific flavor of pork smoked sausage that is served with Texas BBQ and grills up just right.

Vikki

Last edited:
Hey Vikki,

here’s a southwest Louisiana style smoked sausage that I have made 3 times now and it is amazing.
For 10lbs follow the recipe on the left and for 12lb follow the one on the right.
you will grind the meat and then add all of the seasonings to the cold water. Mix all well with your hands. Keep this mixture cold.
Then stuff in to casing. You’ll want to hang the links up (in front of a fan is best) so that the surface of sausage is dry.
Then smoke at a low temp until sausage IT is about 155 degrees.
Good luck and enjoy!
B5492D36-5D03-493D-B865-AF66B71D9C38.jpeg

Hey Vikki,

here’s a southwest Louisiana style smoked sausage that I have made 3 times now and it is amazing.
For 10lbs follow the recipe on the left and for 12lb follow the one on the right.
you will grind the meat and then add all of the seasonings to the cold water. Mix all well with your hands. Keep this mixture cold.
Then stuff in to casing. You’ll want to hang the links up (in front of a fan is best) so that the surface of sausage is dry.
Then smoke at a low temp until sausage IT is about 155 degrees.
Good luck and enjoy!
View attachment 437888

Looks tasty! On a scale of "a baby could eat it" as 1 to "bet you can't eat all this" as 10, how hot would you say it is? I'm a fan of flavor, not so much of hot.

On a scale of "a baby could eat it" as 1 to "bet you can't eat all this" as 10, how hot would you say it is? I'm a fan of flavor, not so much of hot.

I have a Cajun sausage recipe that is very similar to that. I'd say it's probably between a 2 and 3 maybe. A little bit of tingle on the back end but not to the point of peeling dried paint off the driveway by any means.

Robert

Looks tasty! On a scale of "a baby could eat it" as 1 to "bet you can't eat all this" as 10, how hot would you say it is? I'm a fan of flavor, not so much of hot.
Hey Vicki,

this recipe has great flavor, especially when you add this sausage to like a gumbo or stew or something like that. The smoky, spicy flavor really adds a ton to your dish.

Hey Vicki,

this recipe has great flavor, especially when you add this sausage to like a gumbo or stew or something like that. The smoky, spicy flavor really adds a ton to your dish.
The other thing I would say is to just try it, make a record of how much spice you used and tweak it up or down the next time. Really the only way to get it perfect for you!

jbellard, I made that last weekend, turned out really good though I might cut the salt a bit next time. I'll definitely be keeping that recipe. Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky