Looking for opinions on The Perfect Draft Reglator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pwillie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
I happen to have a Lang 48 Runabout and ran across some information on a type of guru called The Perfect Draft that is recommended for use on larger offset smokers. I am a bit skeptical and was wondering if anybody has experience in its use or if you know of others that have used this piece of equipment. Sometimes it would be really great to have something that would do the job of holding temp without constant babysitting your smoker. Helpful comments would be appreciated..............

I don't know what a Perfect Draft device is but I have a CyberQ for my OK Joe Highland and it works very well.

Thanks for your response. It looks as if the cyber Q is a better solution to the problem. I have decided to consider that route. My only concern is whether or not the cyberQ will put out enough draft for a smoker the size of mine.

A good, hot, clean burning fire with seasoned wood split to about the same size is the best start to regulating temps. Once you have that, burn with vents open until you get a bed of coals. I'm brand new here so maybe this is no secret, but I use the flue draft as the main regulator. So once the fire is burning efficiently I keep the back two drafts in the firebox open about an inch (front closed) then I damp down the flue until smoke comes out the cooking chamber. Then open it up slowly until the smoke is just barely coming out or not coming out at all. This does a much bettter job of regulating airflow through the whole smoker, plus, it helps keep cold fresh air from being sucked in the cooking chamber doors. If the fire starts to slow down, smoke will come out the doors so you just open the flue draft up a little.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky