Looking for appetizer ideas...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yooper1217

Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
My daughter is graduating from HS and I am doing pulled pork for the party. I'm going to make the pork ahead of time, but I would still love the smell of rolling smoke during the party. Looking for some good appetizer/finger food ideas that I can make fairly easily throughout the day. I made some pig shots this past weekend, and they were ok, but not great. (My daughter didn't love them and this is all about her.) I may just go with the obvious wings, but other thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!

Reactions: JLeonard
Bacon wrapped just about anything? Asparagus spears jump to mind though. You could do ABT's but might be too much work, and they can be a bit polarizing. I haven't done it in a very long time, but one time I did smoked tomato's with cheese on top, but they aren't really set and forget.

You could do some smoked salmon, but again, polarizing. Zucchini boats (I am sure there is another name but it escapes me)? I think whatever you do, you want minimal prep time and more of a set and forget type of thing. Good luck with the party!

Bacon wrapped just about anything? Asparagus spears jump to mind though. You could do ABT's but might be too much work, and they can be a bit polarizing. I haven't done it in a very long time, but one time I did smoked tomato's with cheese on top, but they aren't really set and forget.

You could do some smoked salmon, but again, polarizing. Zucchini boats (I am sure there is another name but it escapes me)? I think whatever you do, you want minimal prep time and more of a set and forget type of thing. Good luck with the party!
Thanks!

Burnt ends, always good as snack food with or before a meal, and like said above by tpc74 tpc74 . Anything bacon, little rolled dogs in bacon, etc.
Few wings to snack on.

David
Love the idea of burnt ends, but I have no time to make a brisket between now and then. Have never tried "poor man's burnt ends" using a chuck roast or something. Thoughts on that?

Reactions: JLeonard
Seriously, I'd put the ball in her court.
Have her pick the appetizers, and then you make them.

On my own I'd offer a large Veggie and Fruit tray, a Charcuterie tray, several quality dips and wide assortment of crackers, toasts and pita chips.
A self serve Nachos station, two or three crockpots of cheese sauces, e.g. cheese, Rotel cheese and maybe Chorizo cheese, then tortillas chips and salsas.

I'd leave off any BBQ appetizers and save it for the main course.

Last edited:
but I would still love the smell of rolling smoke during the party.
He wanted or would like to have some smoke still rolling in the yard for the ambiance for the party. :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:
That is why I mentioned smoked foods, but yes should have other sides as well.

"poor man's burnt ends" using a chuck roast or something. Thoughts on that?

I think Jeff has hotdog burnt ends in his recipe list , that would be quick and easy to make.

David

He wanted or would like to have some smoke still rolling in the yard for the ambiance for the party. :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:
That is why I mentioned smoked foods, but yes should have other sides as well.

I think Jeff has hotdog burnt ends in his recipe list , that would be quick and easy to make.

David
I was wondering what kind of rolled smoke he was after but I forget... this is a food forum. That and I've wanted to try the hot dog burnt ends just to see...

These could be done in the smoker as well...

Bacon wrapped (half slice) Oreos

Reactions: 912smoker
I do these now and then , different spice profiles too .
You can also do chex mix , cheez-its , mixed nuts . Separate or all mixed together .
It's all pretty addicting .

ABT's are a lot of work but can also be done with mild chiles for those who don't like hot. Pork belly burnt ends are another good choice. I've never done poor man burnt ends with chuck, but plenty of others have. Should be a pretty straightforward cook and nothing like a test run to see how they turn out, right?

Shotgun shells, stuffed mushrooms, moinks, there are plenty of options.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky