Looking for a sweet rub with almost no kick whatsoever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leorousseau

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
New Bedford, MA
I smoked my first brisket this weekend and it was excellent except for the rub I chose. I went with the "All South Barbeque Rub" and it was screaming hot for us
icon_redface.gif
. I am looking for a brown sugary crust making rub that will go with brisk and ribs. Any help is appreciated.

Leo

Did a quick Google search using "simple brisket rub" as my criteria.....

Here is what I found on about.com

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons oregano
Doesn't look like much heat there and they say it is used down in Texas. I'm not from Texas - so I can't vouche for the claim.

Good luck on your next smoke.....
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

That rub looks like so much paprika again. What do you think the results would be if I just rubbed brown sugar on the meat and nothing else?

Paprika's add no heat in my opinion and some paprikas actually have a slight smoky flavor.

Just plain brown sugar would be akin to putting a glaze on a ham.....my opinion again.

You might be better just using some simple spices and then using a OTS sauce before serving.

I agree, the paprika really doesn't add that much heat at all. If you just don't want to use anything that might be "hot" try 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup ground black pepper. I used that on a brisket last summer and it turned out pretty good.

Dont blame you on the paprika, I'm getting not to like it. Has nothing to do with heat.

Try smoking without a rub. I havent used a rub in a long time. I do brine things, but only with a salt/brown sugar mix.

Just think, you can actually taste the flavor of the meat too!

This is a pretty simple one, you can kick back on the black pepper if you want too...I also subsitute 1 cup of sugar in the raw for 1 of the brown sugar. I like how it crytalizes...also, rub that thing down with mustard first! Try a honey mustard. You can also throw some other spices that you might like to add like garlic and such. If using paprika, I almost always use the smoked paprika, it's distinctively different that regular.

2 cups firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup course salt (kosher or sea)

1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper

1 cup of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of Larey's Seasoning Salt. 'Nuff said!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Gotta give a second for the "Sugar in the Raw" aka Turbinado sugar instead of regular brown sugar. It has a much higher burn point, so if your temps spike, you don't have to worry about it and it has a better taste.

The brisket I did this past weekend was Tony's, Garlic, onion, and Turbinado sugar and it turned out great with no left-overs.

I did ribs two weeks ago and I used a brand called "Bone Suckin Rib Rub". Really a mild rub with good taste. Don't know of any chains other than maybe Barbecues Galore that carry it. Don't know how extensive an area their stores cover. Finished the ribs with "Bone Suckin Sauce" thick style. Give it a try if you run across it.

In regards to paprika use ... never buy the Spanish variety, always get Hungarian sweet (wonderful taste and color) it is also available in 'hot'.

I love black pepper, but for some it can add a fair amount of heat.

The recipe that includes the oregano (2 TBSP) could be a bit strong, I'd use half that.

My opinion
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Here is the rub I used. All South Barbeque Rub. I loved the flavor and the aroma but maybe you guys can help me out as far as taking some of the heat away from it. This rub has a kick, not so bad a day later though. How much of what would you take away to kill some heat?

All-South Barbecue Rub
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons black pepper -- freshly cracked
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
4 Tablespoons paprika

i would cut the cayenne in half, and maybe the black pepper too. that should knock the heat down some.
edit: actually, buy jeff's rub. it is not that hot (to me). and his sauce is killer. his rub and sauce recipes is what i am using for now on.

I persoanlly use Meowey's Rub on just about everything that gets a rub applied to it.

My wife is delicate, but she is making a serious effort to meet me at the table. She even does the Wicked Beans with half the pepper and mustard.

Love always finds a way......
icon_redface.gif

Fresh cracked pepper always has more heat than the pre-ground stuff. For real low (almost no) heat take out the cayenne and cut the black pepper in half.

How does this version look? I took out 3/4 of the heat, I hope, without ruining the flavor.

2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
2 ¼ Teaspoonsspoons chili powder
2 ¼ Teaspoons black pepper -- freshly cracked
¾ Teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 Tablespoons paprika

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky