Looking for a sweet honey glazed Beef jerky recipe.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oregonfisher

Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
New member here. Got a Masterbuilt smoker for Christmas. Have been using it for salmon with great results. I've been trying to do beef jerky in it, I've been using a Hi Mountain cure from Cabalas and haven't been totally satisfied with the taste. I'm manly looking for a recipe for a sweeter honey glazed jerky. Also would like to know how long and what temperature to use? Thanks.

Last edited:
OF, Welcome! If you hit the search bar above in the right hand corner(magnifying glass) you will get recipes, tips, temps and times for jerky

Hi OF,

Not sure how your jerky is going, but I bought my Masterbuilt smoker around the same time you posted this question.

This recipe has been my favorite so far

1 cup brown sugar

Pour in rice vinegar until it covers the brown sugar

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup mirin (sweetened sake)

2 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp minced ginger or a little less than that of ground ginger (I don't follow exact measurements)

1 tsp of ground black pepper

Optional: 1/3-1/2 cup apple juice

Optional: Before I pour in the marinade, I usually toss in 5-6 pieces of meat drizzle honey on them, then repeat until done.  Then pour in the marinade.

Also, if you are a cure fan, you may add a cure to this or a pinch of salt, but not too much.

I marinade the meat in ziplock bags for 24-48 hours - preferred 48.  At least twice during this time I pull it out of the fridge and massage it around.

After pulling them out of the bag, I *pat* them to get the excess liquid off (too much liquid = it all runs off in the smoker and takes the seasoning with it).  Then I generously sprinkle, but don't completely cover, and gently pat/rub on a seasoning.

If I want it somewhat spicy, I use McCormick's Sriracha Black Pepper.  Love this stuff.

If I want sweeter, I use McCormick's Brown Sugar Bourbon.  Love this as well.  Sometimes I use both.

Cooking/smoking: I put the temp up to 200 with wood chips to get the smoke going, then before the first batch goes in, I drop it to 160-170.  Don't worry about what the actual temp is, because you'll probably open the door a few times and the temp will drop to that.

Now I have the cold smoker attachment that I use as well, so if you have that, use that and occasionally fill the chip loader internally on the main smoker.  I keep it around 160-170 for 3-3.5 hours, rotating the racks halfway through this.  You may have to rotate some pieces too.

After 3-3.5 hours, I turn the temp up to 185-190 for about 30-40 minutes and add wood chips.  This brings out some moisture from the meat and "glazes" it for you.  It's really nice.  After the 30-40 minutes, I drop the temps back to 150 and start rotating the pieces to put the non-glazed pieces in the back under the exhaust vent because that is the area the tends to glaze.

You may bump the temp up to 180-190 one more time, but between the 4 and 5 hour mark you will be pulling pieces out as they finish and rotating pieces front to back.  Quickest I've done is 4 hours, longest successfully was 5 hours.  I ran 5.5 hours once and it started getting a hard burned crust, though the flavor wasn't "burned", I figured it was overdone.

But the temperature alternating has worked very well.

Wood chips used:

I'm not particular to any type of wood, but the obvious work well: hickory or apple wood.

I frequently try one of the above and alternate with maple or pecan.

One other trick you can do to add glaze/sweetness is in the final hour or so, lightly drizzle honey on the pieces.  You'll want to test this and figure out what you like best.

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky