Long Rest vs Long Hold - help needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Does the sous vide hold mess up the bark?
Not in my opinion. Depends what you consider messing up the bark. If you are looking for dry crunchy bark then yes, I guess so. It does not cause the bark to rub off though if that is what you mean.

I will describe it this way... it comes out pretty much exactly the same as a tallow soaked paper wrapped brisket. That makes sense though when you think about it, because the suction from the vac seal will pull a small amount of the naturally rendered fat out of the brisket, coating the exterior, and as such it is basically a tallow soaked brisket, just in a vac seal bag rather than a paper wrap.

Here is a picture of when I did a while back...

Still in the bag:
Bagged-Brisket.jpg

Opened up and on the cutting board:
Brisket_on_the_Board.jpg

Thank you. I have an Anova Sous Vide and a roaster oven. I never thought of using the sous vide to keep the food warm. It's brilliant because you control the precise temperature and it is never going to change.

I think I will try with the brisket wrapped in clean butcher paper and then vac sealed. Maybe the butcher paper will help keep the bark.

Thanks again.

As I posted in the other thread, I bought this. Working well so far. I will add a water pan, good idea.

I bought one of those a couple years ago to donate to my daughter's high school softball team to hold pizza, burgers and dogs.. It was a brand new school and the team had zero equipment for the concession stand. I did some testing on it with temp probes on the upper and lower racks before I installed it in the concession stand.
It did pretty well. The temp swings were pretty high but the water pan on the bottom shelf would mitigate it somewhat. Peaked about 20 degrees higher than the set point on the bottom shelf and about 12 degrees higher on the top shelf.
Overall I thought it was a good product. Especially compared to what commercial units cost.

Reactions: Marknmd
I bought one of those a couple years ago to donate to my daughter's high school softball team to hold pizza, burgers and dogs.. It was a brand new school and the team had zero equipment for the concession stand. I did some testing on it with temp probes on the upper and lower racks before I installed it in the concession stand.
It did pretty well. The temp swings were pretty high but the water pan on the bottom shelf would mitigate it somewhat. Peaked about 20 degrees higher than the set point on the bottom shelf and about 12 degrees higher on the top shelf.
Overall I thought it was a good product. Especially compared to what commercial units cost.
Yes, I have noticed the swings as well, but I figure my digital Wolf ovens probably do that as well since, I guess, it is impossible to hold an exact temperature.

I have gotten mine to where I believe it is holding an average temperature of 150°.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky