Long heated hold for pork butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pork butt is a much more fatty meat overall and different than brisket. I do about 1-2 hour hold but see no reason to hold longer for butt.

This... there's just zero reason to do it with butt. Especially if you are pulling it. Brisket is a lot more lean, but even a 5+ hour rest seems like there's a point of diminishing returns

Reactions: TNJAKE
This... there's just zero reason to do it with butt. Especially if you are pulling it. Brisket is a lot more lean, but even a 5+ hour rest seems like there's a point of diminishing returns
The reason isn't too improve the butt - it's to improve my sleep before a big family event with 3 or 4 butts. I normally smoke then overnight in my gravity feed but I don't sleep well since I'm keeping an ear out for a temperature alarm.

By smoking one night earlier and then holding 24+ hours, I would (hopefully) get a good night's sleep, get all the other prep work done, grill up a bunch of chicken, and not be so exhausted during the event. So the question wasn't so much about the long hold improving the butt, it was does the long hold negatively impact the taste and texture of the butt.

I've done these big gatherings twice and by meal time, I wasn't feeling very sociable and it was a struggle to get the minimal post-event cleanup done. I still enjoy it but I think I'd enjoy it even more if I could spread the cooking out across three days instead of two,

I've done these big gatherings twice and by meal time, I wasn't feeling very sociable and it was a struggle to get the minimal post-event cleanup done. I still enjoy it but I think I'd enjoy it even more if I could spread the cooking out across three days instead of two,
Been there, done that and why I suggested cooking ahead and reheating. With pulled pork, nobody will have a clue it was reheated unless you tell.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Been there, done that and why I suggested cooking ahead and reheating. With pulled pork, nobody will have a clue it was reheated unless you tell.
Reheating adds another whole batch of steps and equipment to the process. A long heated hold just adds one additional piece of equipment and (since I foil and hold in a cooler now) no additional steps - and that additional piece of equipment gives me a place to keep other things warm.

I've done this before when catering for 400+

What I do is smoke my pork butts and then leave wrapped, without pulling, until it's time to serve. I then lower my smoker temp (It's a 500 gallon offset, so easiest to hold all my pork butts) to 150 and let it ride until time to serve. I've even driven to the site with the smoker rolling :)

The way I do it is pull my pork butts in front of the people in line (people like to oooh and aahhh). I've found them to stay more juicy this way rather than pulling ahead of time and then reheating.

Just to follow up, I hunted a few weeks for a used electric smoker and thought I found 2, but neither seller followed up on my questions. This seems to happen to me every time I try to find used stuff so I got aggravated and bought a new one. I ran some tests on it empty and it has a bit more temperature variation between the 4 shelves than I expected as week as a big bigger temperature swing than I wanted but I can live with both of those. I expect the to be less when loaded with a water pan and food.

Gotta brisket queued up for an overnight cook starting tomorrow and I'll use the electric smoker to hold it until dinner time Friday. I stocked up on Boston butts last week when they were on sale locally for 99¢ per lb so I have 7 in the freezer; I'll try a long hold on one within a few weeks just to check meat quality.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky