Loco Moco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
As many here know I really like Loco Moco. Breakfast lunch Dinner its an all around staple at our house hold. The other night my youngest requested it for dinner but all of the burger patties we had were frozen. I could have thawed them out as there was plenty of time. But I decided to use the sous vide. Set the machine for 125 and in went the frozen patties (vac packed of course) for 2 hours.

Got the rice ready, and when the burgers were done got out the cast iron for a sear. Pretty tasty. don't know that I woud go out of my way to sous vide a burger again but I might.

49379103491_b63be0b77d_c.jpg

49379100811_7c3b0203cc_c.jpg

49378646848_2ecea8d64e_c.jpg

49379099791_a5ffb3a131_c.jpg

49379297502_8211eebe53_c.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
Nice! I do mine with a hard fried egg, never cared for a runny yoke. When I was stationed in Hawaii I ordered it with spam instead of burger. Both are fantastic though.

Nice! I do mine with a hard fried egg, never cared for a runny yoke. When I was stationed in Hawaii I ordered it with spam instead of burger. Both are fantastic though.

When I lived in Hawaii I'd order it with fried Linguica. So good.
Always got my saimin with extra spam.

Nice cook on the egg . I have never had this , and not sure if I have seen it with rice , but it looks fantastic . Love runny egg yolks . I bet the brown gravy is awesome on that .

I haven't had saimin since leaving Hawaii. Pretty much forgot about it. That was so good with spam.

The little cafe where we held our morning work meetings had the best Saimin. Loaded with spam and surimi. They also had the best bagel egg sandwhich. The cook really knew how to cook a perfect runny yoke egg. Unfortunately the Cafe didn't make it through the down turn.

Now if you wanted Loco Moco it was the Island style cafe in Waimea. At the time it was three patties, three eggs, and a bucket of gravy and rice. Now I think its only two of each.

They also had the Big Mok which is white rice topped with Spam, Portuguese sausage, link sausage, one egg and brown gravy.

Or the other favorite :

Da Tita Mok
All the works! Fried rice topped with chicken cutlet, hamburger patty, Spam, one egg and brown gravy.
So good!

Nice cook on the egg . I have never had this , and not sure if I have seen it with rice , but it looks fantastic . Love runny egg yolks . I bet the brown gravy is awesome on that .

Its the Hawaiian Breakfast. It is really good. Add some fire water and you're off to a good start in the morning. Speaking of fire water I haven't made a batch in a while.

Reactions: chopsaw
Man that looks good. Ive never had it but it seems like a perfect breakfast to me! I also like the runny yolk.

The little cafe where we held our morning work meetings had the best Saimin. Loaded with spam and surimi. They also had the best bagel egg sandwhich. The cook really knew how to cook a perfect runny yoke egg. Unfortunately the Cafe didn't make it through the down turn.

Now if you wanted Loco Moco it was the Island style cafe in Waimea. At the time it was three patties, three eggs, and a bucket of gravy and rice. Now I think its only two of each.

They also had the Big Mok which is white rice topped with Spam, Portuguese sausage, link sausage, one egg and brown gravy.

Or the other favorite :

Da Tita Mok
All the works! Fried rice topped with chicken cutlet, hamburger patty, Spam, one egg and brown gravy.
So good!

Oh gosh, that brought back memories. After doing a day of snorkeling at Waimea Bay . We would stop there for lunch!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky