Locally Sourced Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. I just wanted to share my recent experience with getting 1/4 beef from a local farm. I am a believer in sourcing locally anytime I can. I am still looking for a local pork producer. I purchased a 1/4 beef from Oneida farms. I must say the quality is simply fantastic. Not as tender as some store cuts I have had but the flavor is amazing. Tastes like beef should taste. I got the ground beef as 85/15 blend and it makes the perfect griddle smashburger. I can smash it down to almost lace and it still stays intact. I am planning on shaving the sirloin cuts to make cheese steaks. I cooked up a couple Porterhouse steaks with Jack Daniels steak seasoning and they were simply amazing in flavor. To anyone who has means to store 1/4 beef, I would strongly suggest doing so. You save money in the end and you simply cannot compete with the quality of the meat. I can also go to the farm and see the animals being tended to if I wish. Never had that chance with store beef. Thanks for reading if you got this far in my boring screed.

JC :emoji_cat:

Good day all. I just wanted to share my recent experience with getting 1/4 beef from a local farm. I am a believer in sourcing locally anytime I can. I am still looking for a local pork producer. I purchased a 1/4 beef from Oneida farms. I must say the quality is simply fantastic. Not as tender as some store cuts I have had but the flavor is amazing. Tastes like beef should taste. I got the ground beef as 85/15 blend and it makes the perfect griddle smashburger. I can smash it down to almost lace and it still stays intact. I am planning on shaving the sirloin cuts to make cheese steaks. I cooked up a couple Porterhouse steaks with Jack Daniels steak seasoning and they were simply amazing in flavor. To anyone who has means to store 1/4 beef, I would strongly suggest doing so. You save money in the end and you simply cannot compete with the quality of the meat. I can also go to the farm and see the animals being tended to if I wish. Never had that chance with store beef. Thanks for reading if you got this far in my boring screed.

it is Definitely nice knowing how/what you are eating came from and the condition it was in. I agree on the taste.

Thats why I like shopping at Home Place Pastures in Como, MS. 45 min drive from the house and can see the cows and pigs in the pasture. They have a nice farm store and can buy fresh and frozen. And they make a mean hamburger there too! Thinking of getting a upright freezer and doing a 1/4 cow and 1/4 hog.

Jim

Thats why I like shopping at Home Place Pastures in Como, MS. 45 min drive from the house and can see the cows and pigs in the pasture. They have a nice farm store and can buy fresh and frozen. And they make a mean hamburger there too! Thinking of getting a upright freezer and doing a 1/4 cow and 1/4 hog.

Jim
Very nice. I am still looking for a hog supplier but I could not be more satisfied with my beef purchase. I love it when I can source food locally.

Reactions: JLeonard

I see they have bison too. I love good bison.

Reactions: JC in GB

Here in MS our Commissioner of Agriculture is really working to help more meat producers that raise, and produce their beef and pork to sell here in their home state. It is working too.

Here in MS our Commissioner of Agriculture is really working to help more meat producers that raise, and produce their beef and pork to sell here in their home state. It is working too.

That is awesome news. Since I started buying my beef from local farmers, I have never looked back. Haven't had as much luck sourcing local pork or poultry.

Nothing like knowing where your beef comes from and what it ate. I go halves on a beef grown right here on this farm when the freezer is getting low. I don't raise hogs and haven't found a decent local source for pork but would like to.

Thanks for reading if you got this far in my boring screed.
And thank you for sharing. This is the kind of info that can help a LOT of people, especially with meat prices going insane. I'm sure there are a ton of folks out there who have considered buying 1/4 or 1/2 a beef but are reluctant. This may help them to understand the quality and price difference, plus the benefits of sourcing locally.
Thinking of getting a upright freezer and doing a 1/4 cow and 1/4 hog.
Yo Jim, a sage word of advice :emoji_laughing: If you have the ability to do this, GO FOR IT!! You know I keep numerous cuts of beef (and some pork) in the freezers and I'll let you in on a couple things. First obviously is the cost savings. Second is the variety. It's so nice to be able to go to the freezer, do a quick search, and see what jumps out at you when you have numerous choices.

Robert

Jim
I see you are enjoying the fruits of our Commissioner of Agriculture's work. He has pushed for more locally sourced meat and it is paying off. I am looking for a source close to me in south central MD.

I see you are enjoying the fruits of our Commissioner of Agriculture's work. He has pushed for more locally sourced meat and it is paying off. I am looking for a source close to me in south central MD.
Yes sir very much so. At least I know where my meat comes from and its processed right there. Right from the pasture to the processing room.

Jim

Reactions: flatbroke
I've been searching for a local beef/pork/chicken spot for years now. There's not too many. Plus I don't need 15 or so varieties of beef cuts. I really only use 4 or 5. I'll gladly fill my freezer up.

one thing i miss about being raised in Indiana was going to the local locker plant and getting "fresh cow/pork. In Miami i don't happen.

This thread has got me wanting to go out through the freezers and grab some beef! Im fortunate to have local beef. My inlaws are farmers and when the freezers get low, they have a steer butchered. It gets divided up in between my sil,bil,fil and us. I dont get to choose the cuts (although ive tried multiple times) but we get some great meat and you know where it came from!

• Love
so, yeah ... i bought a whole steer here maybe 3 weeks ago, and i'm super pleased with the quality of the beef. dry aged 2 weeks, and much more tender than supermarket cuts. despite the fat content being minimal - i swear, this was a body builder cow - still flavorful and tender. local for me is a 3.5 hour drive, but totally worth it to just be able to wander down to the freezers and grab a rib roast to smoke this weekend and knowing that i only paid like $5 a lb for it. i know of a farmer locally that raises pigs... but i haven't had the courage to knock on their door to ask if they ever sell to individuals.

Reactions: DemonPit
I would deffinately knock on the door. Maybe bring some finished brisket for them to eat so they don't think your a psycho knocking on a random door.

I get my beef from a local farmer here in Northeast Ohio. He raises about 20-25 beef cows a year. By far the best meat I have ever had. The Black Angus is amazing and the last half of Waygu that I bought was the best meat I have ever had. If anyone is interested message me and I can give you his contact information. He might even deliver it within a reasonable distance for a small fee.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky