Lighting the coals: why shouldn't I do this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I prefer the electric (ring or loop) based starters.
Easier than dragging out propane bottles for a charcoal grill.
Handheld bottles are fine for lighting an AMNPS but I think your hand will get sore holding it long enough to get a stack of coals going.

1630095110489.jpeg

I prefer the electric (ring or loop) based starters.
Easier than dragging out propane bottles for a charcoal grill.
Handheld bottles are fine for lighting an AMNPS but I think your hand will get sore holding it long enough to get a stack of coals going.
Not coals. I have an offset. Just to light the logs quickly. A mini propane tank like the one above looks pretty good.

Reactions: bill1
If you need a fire lit quickly, you want the 50,000 BTU weed torch. The 20,000 BTU unit will take a bit longer. It's barely enough to kill the weeds. But then you need a bigger tank. The little bottles don't have the flow rate for a proper weed burner.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I've been lighting mine with a map gas torch for years. Stick it in the bottom vent for about 30 seconds. Leave bottom and top vents open. Come back when it's up to temp.

Bernzomatic_TS8000ZKC_kit_03.jpg.jpg

Last 2 cooks, I used the weed burner propane torch. Not sure why, but it is taking 10 minutes or more, holding the torch to the wood, to get the wood to ignite and then stay burning. This isn't making the lighting process much quicker, or easier for that matter, than lighting some charcoal in a chimney starter like I have been doing for years.

Last 2 cooks, I used the weed burner propane torch. Not sure why, but it is taking 10 minutes or more, holding the torch to the wood, to get the wood to ignite and then stay burning. This isn't making the lighting process much quicker, or easier for that matter, than lighting some charcoal in a chimney starter like I have been doing for years.
10 minutes sounds about right for an electric element starter too. I suspect this to be the natural limitation of the airflow that we have in common, namely natural convection.
If you really want to capitalize on the power (heat) of a big weed burner, you need to add a pretty powerful fan blowing air to the wood/charcoal you're trying to ignite and burn. Right now you're starved for air. (Think of the fire triangle)
The weed burner has been designed to optimize the air flow for the burning of the propane, but not for that flame to remotely burn bare wood or cold charcoal.
But keep an eye on what you're doing...this can get interesting real fast.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I just use my propane torch heating a few spots around the charcoal in the BBQ, and I already had the torch in the garage. I think it gets things going faster than a chimney starter since I can create several hot spots around the charcoal.

Side burner on my gas grill works great to light a chimney of coals...only thing it gets used for!

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
I guess after almost 8 years, it might be late to change habits, but I thought I'd toss this out there.

This is my first non-gas grilling/smoking device ever, and having seen someone else use a charcoal chimney sold me on "going charcoal". Seen the various depictions on TV, OK i use a little start blocks and lump charcoal (for now). Well, to really get the coals going, I did it a little differently. Instead of setting the chimney aside and waiting until fully lit, I stick the chimney inside the Saffire grill, shut the lid and open both vents fully. I get a serious pillar of smoke billowing out the top, and perhaps 20 minutes later ready to dump into the grill. I figure I might be enhancing the natural Venturi effect of the chimney... or perhaps not. Any reason I shouldn't? I have not seen anyone else use this method. My only problem so far is that once I left it too long, and some of the plastic grip on the chimney handle melted a bit. Oops. Plus, I figure it's safer in there, I won't accidentally kick it over, or a rogue gust on wind knock it on its side.on tI find that much lump virtually uncontrollable for low temps. for that I do a small pile with snd open hole in the middle and light with a cube, letting it burn out slowly. A lot of those problems were moot when I bought my Masterbuilt 560 gravity fed.

I guess after almost 8 years, it might be late to change habits, but I thought I'd toss this out there.

This is my first non-gas grilling/smoking device ever, and having seen someone else use a charcoal chimney sold me on "going charcoal". Seen the various depictions on TV, OK i use a little start blocks and lump charcoal (for now). Well, to really get the coals going, I did it a little differently. Instead of setting the chimney aside and waiting until fully lit, I stick the chimney inside the Saffire grill, shut the lid and open both vents fully. I get a serious pillar of smoke billowing out the top, and perhaps 20 minutes later ready to dump into the grill. I figure I might be enhancing the natural Venturi effect of the chimney... or perhaps not. Any reason I shouldn't? I have not seen anyone else use this method. My only problem so far is that once I left it too long, and some of the plastic grip on the chimney handle melted a bit. Oops. Plus, I figure it's safer in there, I won't accidentally kick it over, or a rogue gust on wind knock it on its side.
Nice "Beam" by the way. since I bought my MB560 I don't need a chimney any more. on the very rare occasion I use my OKJ offset reverse, i DO just that. Light chimney and place in open firebox until lit and ready for wood. In my Kamado (egg)I find that much coal virtually uncontrlolable for low heat nd just make a pile of lump with a small hole in the middle and light with one starter and let it burn outward.

Thanks, all. So far, after more than a year into this topic, have not seen a compelling reason to change what I have been doing; while seeing others have different and perhaps equally valid methods they use.

I light my chimney in the kamado with lid open but with a piece of perforated SS on top to eliminate flying sparks. I take two or three full page sheets of newspaper and fold each into a triangle then roll the long end toward the point like a bandana head band then twist to hold each together. Wrap one several times around two fingers, then the next, then the next so it's a ball and stick in the bottom of the chimney. Light with a long lighter.

Thank you! It would hard to relate how long it's been sitting in the garage undriven. Now retired, trying to get back into shape so spending more time on my unique bicycles -- gotta work off those BBQ pounds!
Sounds like my 74 TR6 sits on the lift, have not had it registered since 2017
my fog2.jpg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Sounds like my 74 TR6 sits on the lift, have not had it registered since 2017
OT, but is that Carmine Red? My brother in law had a '74 in Carmine from new, kept almost 25 years, it did NOT look that nice. I really like those Minilite-ish wheels. Alas, my Tiger also sits on a lift, my wife parks her Honda S2000 under it (yes, drip trays!)

Anyway, hopefully no tornado here in MD today (there's a watch), and I can get back to grilling! Chest freezer is overflowing, need to select something.

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky