Lesson Learned-Beef Ribs (don't be like Mike)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike11891

Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
I am posting this as a warning to anyone that in new to smoking meat. I had never smoked full bone beef ribs before. I had braised short-ribs and love those so why not full ribs. Watched a ton of videos and then went for it. S and P, a little garlic, and then onto the smoker. After 7 hours, and a 205 internal temp, I took them off. Rested for an hour and then time to eat. Upon my first bite, I new that my rib purchase was a mistake. There was nothing wrong with the ribs just the flavor of beef ribs was not up my ally. Lesson learned, I should have purchased a couple short ribs, to experiment with and would have saved $50.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
The first time I smoked short ribs I had a similar experience. I guess biting into a rib I was expecting the flavor like pork ribs, but taste was different so mental disconnect. Now I love them - basically like brisket on a stick.

But good advice not to spend too much$ on something you are not familiar with.

Reactions: negolien and TNJAKE
The first time I smoked short ribs I had a similar experience. I guess biting into a rib I was expecting the flavor like pork ribs, but taste was different so mental disconnect. Now I love them - basically like brisket on a stick.

But good advice not to spend too much$ on something you are not familiar with.
Next time I go to a rib cook off I will give it another try with someone else's rib....you never know.

Interesting. What is it you didn’t like? Beef ribs are by far my favorite beef to smoke. Basically tender rich beefy brisket on a stick. Good with just SPOG and even better with an activated charcoal rub.

Very odd. I have done probably 100+ lbs of beef and beef short ribs now and I love them both! I use OakRidge BBQ Black Ops run and they are candy to me! Maybe try a different place to get your meat next time?

Reactions: jcam222
Very odd. I have done probably 100+ lbs of beef and beef short ribs now and I love them both! I use OakRidge BBQ Black Ops run and they are candy to me! Maybe try a different place to get your meat next time?
I will have to try it again then.

Reactions: WV_Crusader
I’ve run into some issues on other cuts of meat and went different places and night and day difference in taste.

I agree for steaks and roasts yes but for ribs not a beefy fan myself either. I did some plate Wagyu when I first got my 560 and was like oh gross lol.

I am posting this as a warning to anyone that in new to smoking meat. I had never smoked full bone beef ribs before. I had braised short-ribs and love those so why not full ribs. Watched a ton of videos and then went for it. S and P, a little garlic, and then onto the smoker. After 7 hours, and a 205 internal temp, I took them off. Rested for an hour and then time to eat. Upon my first bite, I new that my rib purchase was a mistake. There was nothing wrong with the ribs just the flavor of beef ribs was not up my ally. Lesson learned, I should have purchased a couple short ribs, to experiment with and would have saved $50.
I guess having a really goo
Try again! Beef ribs, as others have posted are like brisket.

Curiosity, did you get plate ribs? If not, sometimes the short ribs you see in the store are chuck short ribs and have very little meat and you taste more rub and smoke than beautiful brisket like beef, which is why they are usually best braised and pulled...
Yes, I went to my local butcher that has great meat.

the short ribs you see in the store are chuck short ribs and have very little meat

Are you thinking of back ribs? In my experience, chuck short ribs always have plenty of meat...

chuck3.jpg
chuck2.jpg
chuck1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky