Leg Quarters & Mac n' Cheese w/QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kanealmond

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Boone, NC
I have smoked many different cuts of meat over the last 4 years. I spent the week trying to come up with something new for this weekend, and decided on doing some chicken leg quarters.

I made a good call because when I went to the grocery store this morning, they had 10lb. bags of fresh quarters for $2.73! Needless to say, I bought 3 bags. Stuck 2 of them straight in the freezer to be used over the next few months for some football gatherings.

I usually don't brine thighs, wings, or legs when I smoke them. I decided I would try brining these quarters due to the size of them. Threw together a basic brine made up of a cup of kosher salt and sugar, fresh garlic, 1/4 cup poultry seasoning, and a can of chicken broth. Into the fridge for about 8 hours.

After the brining process I drained them off and patted dry. Rubbed down with some olive oil and liberally applied some Weber Kick'n Chicken seasoning and butter underneath the skin, as well as on top.

Also getting some Mac n cheese practice in for football season!

In the smoker at 10:30 at around 275 degrees.

Checked on everything at 2.5 hours in. Chicken almost done and Mac n cheese smelling great. Not saucing the chicken til I pull it off.

Out of the smoker after 3 hours and onto the 500 degree char griller to crisp everything up. These are for supper tonight so going to let them cool down and reheat later. Don't worry though, my neighbor and I tried the chicken and it's fantastic!

Last edited:
That looks like some awesome eats! Thumbs Up
I do think brining makes a difference. It gives the chicken some flavor and moistness.

The chicken looks good, and I have to do some more mac & cheese, I have not done any for quite awhile and it was really good.

Looks-Great.gif

Yeah, I had not done Mac in a while. Honestly, I forgot about it and left it in about 30-45 minutes too long. Still good flavor, just a bit over cooked.

Nice job Kane!

Everything looks delicious!

I kinda like my mac-n-cheese a little overdone with a nice crust on top.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky