Leatherneck Roll Call.... All Branches Welcome!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When I was in Viet Nam, I use to go out for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. I was given something call LRPS which for all intents and purposes was dry food to be mixed with a liquid. Two table spoons of that and you were full. Two things that I craved: cold milk and a salad. Never saw either. C-rations was a luxury meal. When I came from my missions, I had to replace my boots, clothes, and gear. They were all torn to shreds and everything rotten. I did not carry an M-16 because it was not trusted. I carried a 1911 45 ACP and an old WWII Thompson which also fired 45 ACP and 10 magazines. The Armorer cut the stock except for the handle grip. That was it for 3 to 4 weeks. My job was well... my job was stealth. I was not to engage unless absolutely necessary and I was not to be taken alive. When I came home on September 9th, 1969 after 20 months in country, I weighed 140 lbs. I am 6 feet tall. My mother thought that I was in a concentration camp. Sounds like you guys had a feast. Any body put on weight?

hahaha..... don't think anyone put on weight, at least not where I was.

I was fortunate enough during my service not to see any action. During training, once every other blue moon we would get a hot meal, the rest of the time it was c-rats. 

Even though us grunts probably didn't eat as well as everyone else, the food wasn't that bad. About the last year or so before I got out, the mess hall started serving burgers and fries for a few hours late in the evenings, which was nice. Wasn't all that crazy about the food during boot camp though, especially the first breakfast. The scrambled eggs were almost green, the two links of sausage I didn't even touch. I ate the toast, couple bites of the eggs and a glass of milk. We learned to like it :)
Maybe yours-----In my outfit, we preferred C-rations over Mess hall chow!!!

Bear

+1 on the C-Rats. Better than those new-fangled MREs they have now too. Although they were 30-40 years old. Even got 4 cigarettes per meal.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Ham and Eggs were my favorite. (At least I think they were eggs)
icon_biggrin.gif

That hot chow in the field (when we got it) beat the mess hall anyday. The portable kitchen one, not the Cambros.

SOS and eggs. Dont get no better than that.

Last edited:
+1 on the C-Rats. Better than those new-fangled MREs they have now too. Although they were 30-40 years old. Even got 4 cigarettes per meal.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Ham and Eggs were my favorite. (At least I think they were eggs)
icon_biggrin.gif

That hot chow in the field (when we got it) beat the mess hall anyday. The portable kitchen one, not the Cambros.

SOS and eggs. Dont get no better than that.
I liked "Ham with water added" too.

Don't forget the toilet paper----needed badly if you ate the candy yourself. We gave the candy to the kids

Bear

Tabasco sauce was a very popular item in our backpacks. Most of us were like the old lady in the Frank's Red Hot commercials :) We put that beep on everything! We also did a lot of "grilling" on the lid of an opened can with a heat tab underneath.

+1 on the SOS and eggs.

+1 on the tabasco sauce - carried that all the time.

Once had bullet come so close that it clipped the tabasco sauce bottle that I carried in a thigh pocket on my utility pants. Corpsman thought that I was wounded in the leg from the liquid that spilled in side my pocket..

Ed

2thumbs.gif

If you have never seen these Marines in action,

I think it's worth a few minutes of your time, between spritzing  
biggrin.gif

U.S. Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon

Last edited:
Marines 87-91, 2531, 2533, & 8531.
Parris Island, 29 Stumps, Oki, South Korea, Lejeune, Saudi, Kuwait.

Yes, female, no not one of them that "screwed" up your couples dances on ships or subs, served my time honorably, earned the title Marine just like all of you. I'd gladly go out target shooting with any of you to show my value there. Current Commander of my VFW, helping my community and local vets in any way I can. All that as a woman! Hard to believe for you "old timers" I'm sure...

US Navy LDO, '82-'08.  Five ships, three of them amphibs carting ya'll jarheads to various parts of the world.  Ended up doing 15 years of sea duty with 10 deployments and one other in Iraq in '07.  Fought with and along side more than a few Marines in my time.  I've always said we would go toe to toe with each other but don't ever try to get between us.  If you do you'll have both of us coming after you!

I have a second cousin (my cousin's son) currently in the Marines, along with his bride.  I've yet to meet her but looking forward to that meeting this summer.

Yes, I have many jokes about Marines, but as we all know there is great respect between all of those who have served.  Going to bite my tongue on the Army, though!  lol

Marines 87-91, 2531, 2533, & 8531.
Parris Island, 29 Stumps, Oki, South Korea, Lejeune, Saudi, Kuwait.

Yes, female, no not one of them that "screwed" up your couples dances on ships or subs, served my time honorably, earned the title Marine just like all of you. I'd gladly go out target shooting with any of you to show my value there. Current Commander of my VFW, helping my community and local vets in any way I can. All that as a woman! Hard to believe for you "old timers" I'm sure...
Not hard to believe for this old timer!!

Hi Shell !!

Bear

I agree Shell. We all earned the EG&A at graduation. That is our diploma.

Glad to hear that you are the Commander at your VFW Post. Congratulations.

We just don't hear that too often, in fact you're the first.

Semper Fi Marine

Congrats to you, Shellbellc!  That's quite an accomplishment for ANYONE.  Like AJBert said, we make fun of each other but only with respect.  Sometimes it's well hidden, but it's definitely there. I'm a WWII history buff and it never ceases to amaze me what the Marines and Army went through for years, not months. 

My Dad went through N. Africa, Sicily, Italy, Germany and France with the Signal Corps in WWII.  He didn't talk very much about it like a lot of people but from reading about his campaigns, it was a bitch.

Just took a Boston Butt off and pulled it.  First time using a vinegar mop.  OMG!

Haha, gotta love inter-service rivalry! It is always there. I surprise a lot of Vietnam era and older Marines when they find out I am one also. Most assume that we are still just secretaries. I don't agree with all of the new MOS's that are opening for the females, but as far as harmful situation, we've been there for years! Semper Fi Marines an thank you to all of you that served!!

Haha, gotta love inter-service rivalry! It is always there. I surprise a lot of Vietnam era and older Marines when they find out I am one also. Most assume that we are still just secretaries. I don't agree with all of the new MOS's that are opening for the females, but as far as harmful situation, we've been there for years! Semper Fi Marines an thank you to all of you that served!!
Even the Donut Dollies had it rough & were nearly always in Danger in Vietnam. There was at least a half dozen of them in Dong Tam (My Base Camp), when the VC walked mortars in & a couple RPGs, and set off our main ammo dump, with over 1,000,000 pounds of ammo in it.

Bear

I am posting for my son, who does not cook it YET but sure can empty a plate fast. USMC,  2011 till  ?.  167th light attack squadron aircraft mech. Just deployed yesterday to Japan.   Thank you all for your service.

Welcome aboard FlyinLizard. Tell your son, thank you for his service with the finest.

I'm guessing MCAS Iwakuni. Been too long since I've been there, but I loved every tour.

MCAS Futenma, Okinawa, Japan sucks through.

Last edited:
welcome1.gif
 Flyinlizard!

We appreciate and thank your son's service for our nation!

Wish him the best!

I'm all for women in the Services since they have proven that they are capable (look at Israel!!!) but to put them on submarines, to me, is just about the stupidest, PC BS move ever made.  It will do nothing but make everyone's job even more stressful and harder trying not to do or say the wrong thing knowing full well that one slip will be interpreted the wrong way.  It's hard enough to be locked up in a pipe for 2 or 3 months at a time without that stress.  The Navy has just gone to hell like the rest of the country.

Oh well, off the pulpit.  Had 3 chicken breasts in the smoker tonight.  They were skinless and really looked strange when I took them out!  :)  The boss said 'what the hell did you do to them?" 

Did some flying this weekend.

This one is for you Marines...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky