Late Season Goose

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mtnlakeman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
We still have a couple weeks of waterfowling left so I made it out the other day and had a low flying flock right on top of me. I got a double, and by the looks of it, this one must have had a heart attack because there isn't a BB to be found.

I typically don't pluck them, but couldn't stop pulling feathers since he wasn't shot up and has a nice layer of fat.

I brined him for 3 days in 1 gallon of orange juice, 1/2 gallon cranberry juice, 1.5 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup soy sauce, 3 tsp cure.

After the soak he's been air dying for 24 hours and here's how he looks.
20200108_102638.jpg

Going to try a 4 hour light smoke then a pepper rub and onto the rotisserie just in time for dinner. It might be a good one.

A fat bird like that is outstanding! Let us know how it comes out. I typically smoke mine 7 hours but 4 should give a good flavor too.

Reactions: mtnlakeman
A fat bird like that is outstanding! Let us know how it comes out. I typically smoke mine 7 hours but 4 should give a good flavor too.
Thanks Oberst,

I would finish it in the smokehouse, but I'm hoping I can crisp up the skin by using the rotisserie and still have some smokey orange flavor.

That’s one big goose! I’ve never hunted them. When I see them in the store at Christmas they are around $70 for a much much smaller bird than that.

Looks great. We need cut pics thou. Ok we dont, I do. LOL

Yesum! I don't know how to live stream like I see the crazies on the internet, but this is a quarter turn from the previous picture which is as exciting as I can get.
20200108_192323.jpg

Maybe I should have waited for a full turn.
Tahbarnak - I don't know what that means, but in honor of this honker I Google searched worst Canada curse word and that's what I'm saying from now on.
20200108_190731.jpg

Maybe I should have waited for a full turn.
Tahbarnak - I don't know what that means, but in honor of this honker I Google searched worst Canada curse word and that's what I'm saying from now on.
View attachment 427470

That's a beautiful looking goose, and a very fine plucking job! I'd imagine you used a torch on the pin feathers. That's the best lookin goose I've ever seen on a plate, nice piece of work, Like. RAY

Reactions: forktender
I think I clicked like about 6 times on the way down to here. Never cooked a goose...always made jerky out of it...but after reading this thread, I will have to give it a try.

Congrats on making the headline too!

Time to get the layout blind out...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky