Last years peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 21, 2006
Monroe, La
Thought I would post a couple of pics of my jalepenos from last year. They were kind of small, but real good.

Too early to plant anything except potatos here right now. So I am just getting things ready.

Nice looking Japs Rodger. Do you plant any peppers besides them? I have only had bells, japs, and habeneros but I am thinking about branching out some this year.

Yea I think so too. I haven't figured the part out about saving them yet
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif
, other than sliced and pickled. I do a lot of them like that. We eat a lot of nacho's with em tho.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

edit - Meant to tell Chad I do Pablanos and Cubanelle peppers also. Love them peppers

Tom, have you ever tried to grow the Anahiems in our area? I think them big son-of-guns would be awesome for overgrown ABT's. I've never pickled any besides the little round cherry peppers. I bet home grown japs pickled would be a nice treat for nachos as well as other mexican dishes.

Can you grind up your peppers and use them as a spice maybe? Or how about freezing them?

Question ??? I just made my 1st ABTs superbowl sunday and I split them down the middle and seeded them to stuff. They weren't hot. Very much like green bell peppers. I've never seen raw Jalepinos here before so this was a new. Do they loose their heat when they get bigger? Should I only get little ones?

icon_rolleyes.gif

when you slice em open to clean em out, your removing the heat, the heat's in the seeds and membrane, the outer shell is like a kicked up green pepper
icon_redface.gif

I leave them whole and thread them onto a piece of sewing thread and hang em in a dry spot in the kitchen....you might try bagging them and putting them in the cold room or someplace dry and dark till they dry.
I haven't noticed any loss in heat using this method.
As for growing them ....It's 17 below zero here but if we want Habeneros or scotch Bonnetts we have to start them in peat pots in the basement so they can be planted in the spring..........if it ever warms up....BBBBBRRRR.

icon_razz.gif
If you want to freeze them I recommend blanching them first then freeze them whole using a vaccum seal or zip lock and squeezing as much air out as you can before you freeze them.
When you need em you can thaw and do what ever you want with them.
Just my 2 cents fwiw.
Good Luck

My husband is a hot pepper freak and I have learned a lot about hot peppers, capcacin, scoville, and the like...We have 40 hot pepper plants on order for delivery during our spring planting time...Check out the web link below. I've ordered for years from them and recommend them. They have the hottest pepper available, twice as hot as the red sovina!! It's called a bhut jolokia, 1 million on the scoville scale. His favorite peppers are the biker billy jalapeno, the hinkle hatz, and the grandpa. If you want to try one that has great great flavor and it's pretty hot, it's called the peter pepper. I got it as a joke a couple of years ago, but it's an outstanding pepper! We always get a bunch of different plants for experimenting with different heat and flavors. Last year he really liked the ancho, medium heat but really tasty stuffing pepper.

http://www.chileplants.com/

Oh, by the way, his family has only ever just thrown fresh peppers in a ziplock and thrown them in the freezer. Reach and grab one when you want one. Works nice for thick skinned peppers. They won't be as crisp as fresh, but the flavor is right there!

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for a place to order cubanelle plants. I can only get seeds locally. Nothing like fresh cubanelle peppers, onions, thin sliced ribeye steak marinated in italian dressing, grilled, smothered in cheese and turned into a Philly Cheese steak sandwich. Damn, now I'm hungry again and my keyboard is wet
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

Thanks for that site..
Too bad, as usual........ They won't ship to Canada.
But I did get a little giddy lookin at all those peppers.
I just might have to drive down to New Jersey.
I know we can bring the pepper across the border, but I don't think customs will allow transport of a rooted plant. HHHMMMM!!
frown.gif

Gremlin, I see you are a fellow Oshawa resident...have you checked these guys out for pepepr seeds?
http://www.sargentpeppers.ca
I don't know the owner , and have never bought from him yet, but this year I'm going to try growing some japs.
Sorry if this seems like spam I realize I'm putting up a link to a business on my first post. But I'm new to this whole thing and don't have much to contribute just yet.

Believe it or not ......You just contributed and welcome to the forum.
I will take a look at the site.
Thanks for the info.
If you smell smoke this mornin it's just me no need to call the OFD
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky