Landed a new job!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lugnutz

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Lawson Mo
ok I've been hunting for a new job for a while now, on July 12 I finally got a bite and began the hoop jumping required to seal the deal. I start Monday!!!! 

Qview will be at a minimum for a month or two as we re adjust ( aka catch up on bills ) and get settled into a new life schedule ( going from days and 3 days off to nights and working 7 on 2 off ).

This is going to be a good change for us with more $$$ and better/cheaper insurance.  I may even buy a new smoker...no..I like my uds too much. 

But with better ins I can start using gas to light my coals !!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
  Don't worry, I may do crazy things but not THAT crazy.

I'll still be stoppin in ( it is an addiction ) and checking out all the great Q and awesome builds.

Hey if I can get the meat budget back in working order I can cooks some of that good stuff like Tri Tip or Lobster Stuffed Brisket ( ok I made that up ). 

This is my last 3 day weekend for a while so I guess I better go pick something up to celebrate..maybe a brisket since I have never done it or perhaps ribs with my special glaze..hmmmmm choices choices!

Hey man I am very happy for you. Glad you found a good job. We will be here waiting for you

Thanks Guys,  maybe lobster stuffed brisket was a stretch but I'm hoping to try a lot of things that I haven't been able to justify.  Just gotta be careful I don't go over board buyin new grinders and stuffers LOL

Lugnutz

Congrats on the job !!! It is good news to hear during a time of high unemployment, hope it works out well for you.

Still in the dark on exactly what I will be doing, guess I'll find out Monday morning at the orientation. But I will be working for National Starch in North Kansas City Mo.  They produce starch from corn and make several grades including food grade.  It will be a longer drive but I'll be saving about 90 bucks a week on Insurance and I'll have 40+ hours a week.  My ex job payed more but Insurance was 180 a week and normally only 36 hours a week.

My dad retired from National a few years ago, but he was a draftsman/enigneer jack of all trades, not a grunt LOL

Good luck with the job, can you tell us what you will be doing?

Congrats, Lugnutz! Things come in threes, so let's hope two more of us get hired somewhere too. 

I've worked 2nd shift before and I came to really like it. The wife not so much because she is a morning person and I was always dragging butt. Still, you'll adjust. I rigged lights up over my garden and worked in the cool night air. The neighbors never complained and the neighborhood dogs quickly got used to me fooling around outside in the middle of the night (smoked meat bribes helped). 

That's Great Lugs! !

They don't want to tell you what until Monday---Uh Oh!  
eek.gif

Might be something like testing heavily starched drawers! 
eek.gif
eek.gif
icon_cry.gif

Just Kiddin',

Bear

Thats not very pleasant sounding Bear LOL

Its a union job so they can't say till all the open spots have been bid on and then the newbies get to fill in the holes.

I'm hoping for a 2nd shift spot, I've worked it before and I liked it.  Can't fathom how I'll sleep if working 3rd when my son is over on his weekend visits, between him and his step brother you can't hear anything else.

icon_cool.gif

Congrats on the new job and I hope you like it as much as it seems like you do. You are typing happier already.

Mark, it has been a long game of jumpin thru hoops. Started back in April when I sent the resume, got a call July 12th to come in on the 14th to take a test, two weeks they called for interview, called me that night to get info for background 2 weeks later physical, got papers back to send to my Doc cause of my blood pressure..then wait another week and got the call to start work.

This last year I've spent just surviving check to check, hasn't been all bad I did have spare cash here and there for meat and building the uds. But things are about to get better! 

I'll be in for long days since they work lots of OT and my days off will rotate, they work 7 on 2 off. Every Sunday you work is OT and holidays are  2.5 !!! and they work all holidays so I'm bound to get my share.

The job may suck ( hope it doesnt ) but at least they pay well for it LOL

Still in the dark on exactly what I will be doing, guess I'll find out Monday morning at the orientation. But I will be working for National Starch in North Kansas City Mo.  They produce starch from corn and make several grades including food grade.  It will be a longer drive but I'll be saving about 90 bucks a week on Insurance and I'll have 40+ hours a week.  My ex job payed more but Insurance was 180 a week and normally only 36 hours a week.

My dad retired from National a few years ago, but he was a draftsman/enigneer jack of all trades, not a grunt LOL

I heard a rumor about them trying to find someone for testing starched briefs for Jockey,  Probably just a rumor...http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/pkcdirect/emoticons/?action=view&current=sign10.gif

Congratulations on the new Job...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky