Lamb Breast...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...or lamb ribs or lamb spare ribs were on sale at Aldi this week and I haven't done them since this thread. Last time I grilled them on indirect heat, but decided to try them smoked this time.

So here we go...

A couple of packs of these from Aldi, 2 racks in each pack. It is Australian lamb...
20230131_131346[1].jpg

Scored and seasoned with a homemade KC style rub, into the fridge while I get the smoker ready. Last time I used yellow mustard for a binder, this time I did not...
20230130_111814[1].jpg

Fired up The OK Joe with some oak and once up to temp, on they went. Smoked at about 300℉ for a couple of hours, then wrapped for 45 minutes. I have all but quit wrapping any ribs, but these seemed to be taking too long and family was showing up:emoji_laughing:. Unwrapped and sauced with a store bought sauce. Let them go for another 45 minutes...
20230130_180142[1].jpg

Time for the sides. First up is bruschetta with multi-colored cherry tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes in half, sprinkle on some thyme, drizzle with EVOO and into a 400℉ oven to roast until they start to bubble and get a little color...
20230130_164417[1].jpg

20230130_184104[1].jpg

Tossed with fresh basil...
20230130_185851[1].jpg

Next up is lemon asparagus orzo. Two pounds of asparagus broken in half and the tough ends removed, 2 lemons zested and squeezed, 4 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped, ½ stick unsalted butter, and 1 lb. orzo...
20230130_151815[1].jpg

Cooked the orzo according to the box. About halfway through cooking, I added the asparagus to the pot and brought back to a simmer. Drain when the orzo is almost done...
20230130_184625[1].jpg

I heated the butter and added in the garlic, sautéed until fragrant. Added the lemon zest and juice. Stir into the orzo and asparagus, ready to serve...
20230130_185849[1].jpg

Ribs are cut...
20230130_185846[1].jpg

The tomatoes are served on a baguette bread which was toasted with EVOO and pepper. The lemon asparagus orzo is served with shaved parmesan cheese. My wife had been to Sam's and restocked our supply of the good china so time to eat...
20230130_190945[1].jpg

Probably should have cut the asparagus into thirds or so, had to cut them again to eat them. Some fresh mozzarella would have been really good on the bruschetta, but with the parmesan on the asparagus/orzo, I felt we had enough cheese in this meal. The ribs cook up pretty much the same as pork spare ribs, but just take a little less time and with lamb, temp isn't important. The BBQ sauce was Williamson Brothers Original and actually pretty good, maybe a little sweet...
1675191389882.png

Well, that's enough of my rambling for now...

Nice write up and a even better cook Charles, some fine work there! Nice price on the lamb, I never see anything close to that. RAY

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I LOVE lamb! On my way right now to our local Aldis to see if they have them.

Done a ton of smoked lamb just never ribs and those ribs and sides look insane!

Fantastic write up Charles and a top notch meal. Beautifully done and kudos to your wife for keeping the fine china in stock :emoji_laughing: Well done my friend!!

Robert

We have a Aldi's a mile from my house, they had the same advertisement I've been there twice before and both time they were out of stock on what was advertised. Same thing happened again today, I'll never go back there. RAY

All looks great Charles! Been years since I've had lamb... not sure I ever had ribs. But would sure sit down to a plate of that!

Ryan

Nice write up and a even better cook Charles, some fine work there! Nice price on the lamb, I never see anything close to that. RAY
Thanks Ray! Aldi will have a good price on lamb occasionally, but, as with other sale items they have, I've found that you have to get there on the first day of the sale or you may not get any...

Reactions: sawhorseray
I LOVE lamb! On my way right now to our local Aldis to see if they have them.

Done a ton of smoked lamb just never ribs and those ribs and sides look insane!
Most everyone has cooked or at least heard of leg of lamb and rack of lamb, but the ribs are something different for sure. As for the sides, I wanted something different so I just interwebbed it and those were 2 that caught my eye. Thank you Norman...

Fantastic write up Charles and a top notch meal. Beautifully done and kudos to your wife for keeping the fine china in stock :emoji_laughing: Well done my friend!!

Robert
Well thank you, Robert!! She keeps us stocked on all of our fine china, fancy Solo drinkware, and linens...🤣. When you have the crowd we have on a regular basis, you'll go through those quickly...😆. Take care my friend...

All looks great Charles! Been years since I've had lamb... not sure I ever had ribs. But would sure sit down to a plate of that!

Ryan
The ribs have a distinct lamb flavor for sure and can be treated just like any other ribs. I'll have a plate waiting on you next time...:emoji_wink:

That's a fine looking meal! I'll have to keep an eye out for that cut now that i know what it is ;)
Each pack had 2 racks, a left and a right side. They're something different to try and if you like lamb, they're pretty good...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky